This option prepares students to meet the requirements for an Early Childhood Education Assistant certificate.
CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE - UNDER REVIEW
Prerequisite: VST Child Care Aide Option
Corequisites: At least one course in Early Childhood Education from a training institution currently approved by the Ministry of Children and Family Development:
- Child Growth and Development
- Health, Safety and Nutrition
- Child Guidance
- Attend intake interviews
- Have successfully completed the VST Child Care Aide Option
- Have a minimum Grade 5 reading/writing level
- Complete an “ECE Assistant” questionnaire to the satisfaction of the intake panel
- Provide documentation of their disability
- Provide a criminal record check upon acceptance to the program
- Participation in an Early Childhood Education Course(s) with tutorial support
- Class activities and assignments related to practical application of new skills
- Employability Skills Classes
- Participation in work experiences in ECE settings
Activities and assignments related to the ECE courses.
Students participate in a minimum of 15 weeks of work experiences (or employment) in ECE settings which are a minimum of 5 to 6 weeks long. Students work under the supervision of the employer with support and monitoring by APPD staff.