Technical Management and Services
The Technical Management and Services (TMAS) program is designed for emerging technical professionals who have competed a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a technical program such as applied sciences or information technology.
Whether participants have industry experience or are just starting their career, this program equips emerging professionals with the skills needed to address supervisory and managerial needs in a technological environment. The technical manager's role is viewed as the link between business management and technical expertise and involves matching resources in uncoordinated areas, working through people and making and implementing management decisions, while simultaneously formulating technical strategies.
The TMAS program combines management and business administration concepts within the context of managing in technical product development, technical services (ie. engineering, environmental sciences, information technology) or operations and manufacturing environments. The TMAS program consists of five general management courses (15 credits) that allow participants to develop business-related critical thinking and analytical, communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills. Students will attain a solid understanding of how to interpret and synthesize core business, financial and performance data to make informed decisions in a technical business environment. Following this, participants will complete six courses (18 credits) of focused TMAS content.
The six TMAS courses develop a student’s ability to apply best-in-practice processes and tools to a wide range of business and management issues and opportunities to support informed decision making in technical business situations and environments.
TMAS graduates will:
- Demonstrate the ability to develop a technology plan or technical services plan (or program) that aligns with the overall business plan
- Exercise their responsibilities in the management of cost-effective systems, product development, or technical services by leading and participating in interdisciplinary teams
- Apply their in-depth knowledge of leading a diverse technical team in analysis, administration, and project management within any technical industry
- Apply an ethical understanding and perspective to business situations both locally and globally, and apply the newest theoretical and practical approaches with respect to social responsibility and sustainability
- Analyze the performance of their organization (financial, products, services, practices and systems) to identify ways to improve the performance of organizations and help meet marketplace needs
Upon completion of the TMAS program, students will have a strong applied management knowledge base with the ability to apply business and management processes, tools and strategies as part of seeking or maintaining their professional accreditation or designation (via professional development credits).
The TMAS program will be delivered via Friday and Saturday classes that will be offered through a combination of in-class, blended (in-class/on-line) and compressed (6 week) in-class courses. The program is offered via cohorts where participants may complete the program full-time over three continuous semesters (12 months) or part-time over six continuous semesters (24 months).