Psychiatric Nursing: Degree Completion for Stenberg College Graduates
This program is currently under review. All intakes have been suspended indefinitely.
The Degree Completion, Psychiatric Nursing, provides Stenberg College diploma graduates an opportunity for advanced entry into the Bachelor of Psychiatric Nursing (BPN) program at year 3.
This is a four semester, 48.5 credit program. Students will enter pending seat availability. The program requires the successful completion of the Stenberg Regional Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing (RDPN) program.
Graduates of the program will be prepared to function as team members and leaders of mental health settings including forensic psychiatry, addiction facilities, acute care, intermediate and/or long term care hospitals, clinics, home care services, and various community healthcare centers.
Admission into Semester 5 for Registered Psychiatric Nurses is based on seat availability.
In addition to the Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, the following program admission requirements apply:
- English 12 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of B; or undergraduate equivalent with a minimum grade of C+; or ENGL 1100 level (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C+
- Successful completion of the Stenberg Registered Diploma Psychiatric Nurses (RDPN) program completed within the past 6 years with graduation in January 2014 or later.
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level C courses which are current at the time of entering the program. CPR certification must be current throughout the Program
- Immunizations consistent with the requirements of practice agencies
- An acceptable Criminal Record Check through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General's Criminal Records Review Program within 6 months prior to the start of the program.
- Applicants who have lived outside of Canada as an adult are required to secure a Criminal Record Search with the Vulnerable Sector from their country of origin. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further direction on obtaining your criminal record check.
Students in the program must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.33 with no grade lower than C in all required courses, including electives.
Stenberg College graduates must receive appropriate block transfer for 76 credits plus complete the following requirements for a minimum of 125 credits to graduate.
The maximum allowable time students enrolled in KPU's Degree Completion for Registered Psychiatric Nurses program have to complete all program requirements for graduation is 10 years
|CAHS 3500||Nursing Concepts and Theories||4.5 credits|
|ENGL 1100||Introduction to University Writing||3 credits|
|FINA 1170||Introduction to Film Photography||3 credits|
|ENGL 1204||Reading and Writing about Genre: An Introduction to Literature||3 credits|
|PSYN 3120||Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing: Health Care Economics, Leadership and Management||3 credits|
|WOMN 3100||Conceptual Traps & Health Care||3 credits|
|PSYN 3200||Global Problems and Health||7 credits|
|PSYN 3230||Psychiatric/Mental Health: Nursing Research||3 credits|
|PSYN 3240||Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis||3 credits|
|CRIM 2330||Psychological Explanations of Criminal Behaviour||3 credits|
|PSYN 4100||Capstone Course: Psychiatric / Mental Health Nursing||7 credits|
Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to receive a Bachelor of Psychiatric Nursing (BPN).
At a Glance
Faculty of Health
- Baccalaureate Degree
- Limited intake
Minimum Credits Required:
Curriculum Effective Date: