Appliance Servicing: Certificate
This nine month program is designed to prepare students for employment in the appliance service industry. Students will learn to diagnose and repair major and small household appliance faults through customer consultation, checking controls, reading schematic diagrams and working with hand tools. Additional theory and practices prepare students to write the BC Provincial "C" Gas Certificate. During the program students will participate in a work experience practicum with current industry technicians.
Students who complete the Foundation are eligible for credit in Foundation (equivalent to Level 1), Level 2, and Level 3 of the Appliance Service Technician apprenticeship in-school technical training and 525 work-based hours. Upon completion of the program students will be eligible to write the Certificate of Completion (COC) and the Red Seal Inter-provincial examination. The Red Seal endorsement will be awarded upon completion of 7200 work-based training hours and is recognized in all jurisdictions across Canada.
Details on program dates are available at Kwantlen Course Search.
This program is suited for individuals that enjoy customer consultation, working independently, compiling information and problem solving. Physical demand can vary; there is a considerable amount of standing, stooping, kneeling and manual dexterity. Additional information is available at: kpu.ca/trades/appliance_servicing.
This program prepares graduates for employment in appliance service companies which may lead to employment in commercial food services, electrical, commercial refrigeration and the HVAC industry. Many experienced appliance service technicians can start their own sub-contracting and independent business.
Employment opportunities in this field may be found with department stores, factory service outlets, independent service shops and authorized service depots. Outside of appliance servicing, opportunities are available with companies who service electromechanical products. Many graduates have started their own businesses. To enhance employment, graduates may require a driver's license, and may need to be bondable.
The following program admission requirements apply:
- English 12 with a minimum grade of ‘C’ (or equivalent), or
- Completion of KPU’s Trades reading test with a minimum score of 75%
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics 11 with a minimum grade of ‘C’ (or equivalent), or
- Foundations of Mathematics 11 with a minimum grade of ‘C’ (or equivalent), or
- Pre-calculus 11 with a minimum grade of ‘C’ (or equivalent), or
- KPU’s Trades Mathematics Assessment with a minimum threshold score of 31%
- Interview by an instructor.
Note: Admission for international applicants requires approval of the Dean.
- Safety with respect to appliance servicing
- The tools of the trade
- The fundamentals of electricity
- Customer relations
- Diagnose motors used in appliances
- Basic electronics for appliances
- Electric clothes dryers
- Standard and self-cleaning ranges/wall ovens including electronic models
- Automatic clothes washers
- Automatic electric dishwashers
- Garbage disposers, garbage compactors, electric water heaters
- Microwave ovens
- Household refrigerators including electronic models
- Air conditioners
- BC Provincial "C" Gas Certificate
- 2 Week Work Practicum
|APPL 1110||Basic Electricity||5 credits|
|APPL 1115||Basic Electronics||1 credits|
|APPL 1125||Electric Dryers||3 credits|
|APPL 1130||Electric Ranges: Standard and Self-Cleaning||5 credits|
|APPL 1215||Automatic Electric Dishwashers||3 credits|
|APPL 1210||Automatic Washers||5 credits|
|APPL 1120||Ancillary Products||1 credits|
|APPL 1230||Microwave Ovens||1.5 credits|
|APPL 1220||Basic Refrigeration and Domestic Air Conditioning||5.5 credits|
|APPL 1235||B.C. Provincial "C" Gas Certificate||2.5 credits|
|APPL 1225||Work Experience Practicum||1.5 credits|
Students will require various tools including a multimeter; in addition to safety equipment such as steel-toed safety shoes.
Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to receive a Certificate in Appliance Servicing.
KPU will report your in-school technical training completion information to the Industry Training Authority (ITA) in order for the ITA to determine credit towards your designated apprenticeship.
At a Glance
Faculty of Trades and Technology
- Limited intake
Minimum Credits Required:
Curriculum Effective Date: