Building Envelope Technician: Apprenticeship
Intakes for this program have been postponed indefinitely.
A Building Envelope Technician's job is to enclose a house from the foundation up, keeping weather out and warmth in while creating openings for windows, door and utilities. The Building Envelope Technician program provides the skills, training and knowledge you need to become a provincially-recognized, certified tradesperson. The program gives you the skill, training and knowledge to safely install, seal, repair, replace and remove external walls in residential homes, including wall and foundation interfaces, wall and ceiling interfaces, window and door openings, plumbing heat and electrical systems.
The following requirements apply:
- Completed KPU Apprentice Registration
- Active apprentice registration in the BC Apprenticeship system.
- Valid Trade Worker Identification number from the Industry Training Authority (ITA-ID). If you do not have an ITA-ID, you will need to complete an apprenticeship registration form through the ITA (www.itabc.ca) prior to enrolling (Level 1 through to 4). To determine your eligibility please consult with the Industry Training Authority.
- Successful completion of English 11 (or equivalent)
- Successful completion of Mathematics 11 (or equivalent)
- Submission of sponsorship application
Note: International student Application for Admission requires approval of the Dean.
Note: KPU Tech does not permit students to register in Apprenticeship Levels out of sequence.
Building Envelope Technician (ARCT 1010)
- Overview of Building Envelope Technician's Work
- Scope & Responsibility
- Use of Safe Work Practices
- Use and Care of Equipment and Tools
- Understand Building Science
- Understand Applied Building Science
- Describe Walls
- Understand Relevant Regulatory Requirements
- Reading Drawings, Plans and Specifications
- Apply Sheathing Membrane
- Install Window and Doors
- Flash Windows, Doors and Other Locations
- Apply Self Adhered Membrane
- Install Strapping
- Apply Sealants
- Apply Cladding
KPU will report your in-school technical training completion information to the Industry Training Authority (ITA) in order for the ITA to determine credit towards your designated apprenticeship.
At a Glance
Faculty of Trades and Technology
- No Credential
Curriculum Effective Date: