To keep pace with rapid changes in the industry, KPU provides a solid foundation in communications theory blended with practical, hands-on work experience and a field placement in a public relations environment. The program works closely with the professional public relations community and our faculty is drawn from industry and includes full and part-time instructors who are active public relations professionals.
The Public Relations Program is a 60-credit diploma organized into four semesters.
During the first year, students concentrate on general knowledge and on developing the basic skills, work habits and attitudes they need to succeed both as students and as PR professionals.
In the second year, students concentrate on further developing what they have learned and applying their public relations skills to a variety of projects for clients, culminating in a one-month work experience in the public relations industry.
During their two years of study, students will:
- Learn about the broad world of media, including print, radio, television and the Internet along with the theory and practices of communications in Canadian society.
- Be introduced to basic concepts and skills of the public relations industry, including: PR writing, design and production; event planning and management; media relations, marketing, publicity, issues management and crisis response; and internal communications within organizations.
- Develop professional attitudes through exposure to the ethical, legal and societal expectations of modern day public relations.
- Develop personal competence through working in group projects, delivering presentations, and hands-on training in computer labs.
- Gain experience in design and management of all the aspects of a special event fundraiser in support of a non-profit organization in the community.
- Gain hands-on experience during a four-week (full time) practicum in the public relations industry prior to graduation. This work experience provides opportunities for observation and application of previously studied theories and methodologies and assists with the transition of the graduates from KPU to the workplace.
Successful applicants may take non discipline specific courses (MRKT 1199 and English courses) prior to entering the program and/or during the summer semester in order to lighten their workload during the term.
The KPU PR Diploma Program has negotiated a block transfer agreement with Royal Roads University (RRU) in Victoria, British Columbia. By this agreement, applicants who meet the requirements for RRU prerequisites, and who have successfully graduated from the KPU PR Diploma Program, will be eligible for admission to RRU with full block transfer, provided all other entrance criteria are met (per the program admission requirements on the RRU website) and space remains available in their Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication program.
Please visit www.kpu.ca/business/programs for more information on School of Business programs.
In this section
Students accepted into the Public Relations program must have a high level of communication skills, both written and verbal. Depending on their background, advanced standing can be granted for work done or skills learned elsewhere.
Perhaps more than any other skill, good writing is critical to the success of public relations professionals. We are looking for students who have a natural flair for writing and a good command of English grammar.
Industry personnel may contact the Program Coordinator to access individual courses of interest without applying for the complete program. Access is determined by permission of the Coordinator and an availability of space.
Note: A lack of basic writing skills or word processing computer skills will hold students back, so applicants are urged to upgrade this area before starting the program.
During the last few years, the job market has exploded for those who are skilled in public relations writing, special event coordination, media relations, issues management, publication layout and production, community relations, and marketing.
The KPU PR Program is known for providing a broad-based educational experience that gives students a solid grounding in all aspects of public relations and corporate communications.
KPU's Public Relations Program graduates experience a high rate of employment in a variety of positions within the field. Examples of employment positions attained by recent graduates include Communications Manager, Media Relations Specialist, Special Events Coordinator, Information Officer, and Public Relations Consultant.