Welcome to Professional Studies Health
We offer a variety of RN/LPN nursing refresher education
Courses offered include:
RN or LPN:
- Competency Assessment & Enhancement for Nurses (CAEN) (PNCA 1000)*
- Health & Physical Assessment (PNUR 1109)*
- Professional Communication (PNUR 1120)*
- Psychomotor Skills Review (PNUR 1111)*
- Gerontology In Nursing (PNUR 9031)*
- Fit Testing (PNUR 9001)*
- Nurse Ready (PNUR 9030)*
- Nurse Ready Boot Camp (Condensed) (PNUR 9036)*
- Introduction to the Canadian Health Care System and Nursing in Canada - For RNs (PNUR 1101)*
- Canadian Nursing Theory and Practice - For RNs (formerly Medical Surgical Review) (PNUR 1112)*
- Pharmacology (PNUR 1100)*
- Early Recognition and Intervention for the Deteriorating Patient - For RNs (PNUR 9019)*
- Basic Electrocardiogram (ECG) Interpretation - for RNs (PNUR 9012)*
- Consolidated Clinical Course (250 hours) (PNUR 1130)*
- Specialized Clinical Course (400 hours) (PNUR 9020)*
- NCLEX Boot Camp - For RNs (formerly Canadian Registered Nurse Exam Preparation) (PNUR 1199)*
- Pharmacology for LPNs (PNUR 9032)*
- LPN Canadian Nursing Theory & Practice (PNUR 9033)*
- Introduction to the Canadian Health Care System and Nursing in Canada – For LPNs (PNUR 9035)*
- LPN Consolidated Clinical Course (PNUR 9034)*
We can also offer customized training for your worksite, please contact our office.
News & Events:
- Summer registration is open on Flexreg.
- Registration for summer Consolidated Clinical and Specialized Clinical is open now. Please refer to their respective websites above for details before purchasing a seat.
- We have launched two new LPN courses this summer. Introduction to the Canadian Healthcare System and Nursing in Canada for LPNs and LPN Consolidated Clinical, details are above and these courses are on Flexreg now.
- The summer Nurse Ready "3 week" sessions is open for registration. We do not have a waitlist. If a student drops the course their available seat will automatically reflect on Flexreg once they are dropped. As we have no refunds or transfers in Professional Studies, we don't typically receive many drops. There are 12 seats per session. Delivery is mixed mode of online, classroom, lab and group work. Class runs 9:30am-2:30pm Wed-Fri for 3 consecutive weeks. The summer session dates are May 16-June 1, June 13-29, and July 11-27. Please note: all dates can be subject to change. There will be classes September - December as well and these dates will be published here shortly.
- The summer Nurse Ready Boot Camp sessions (new course code is PNUR 9036) are now available on Flexreg for registration. We take 20 students per session. Boot camp sessions run Mon-Fri for one consecutive week from 4:00pm-9:00pm each night. Students are with the instructor in the nursing lab for the entire week. Remaining summer dates are planned for June 11-15 (instructor will be Lori Shortridge), July 16-20 and August 13-17 if there is demand. Cost includes a professional grade stethoscope and uniform. As there are no refunds or transfers in Professional Studies, if you buy a seat for the PNUR 9036 Nurse Ready Boot Camp (referred to as condensed on flexreg) it is not possible to transfer to the PNUR 9030 Nurse Ready "3 week" option. Please note: the Boot camp would not be suitable for those taking Nurse Ready for GNIE.
How to register
Registration for Professional Studies Courses in the Faculty of Health is done via Flexreg. Students with sponsorship letters can contact our office for details on how to register. Registrants are responsible to check for any last minute changes or updates.
As information on Flexreg can be limited, it is important to review each course website noted above to ensure eligibility prior to purchasing a seat as there are no refunds.
To register, open Flexreg and in the search box type PNUR. All available PNUR courses will appear. Please review each course carefully to ensure you select the correct course as multiple options for the same course may apply. To purchase a course, select "add course" and then select "register" in the bottom right corner. If you already have a KPU ID, sign in, otherwise create a profile. Write down your KPU ID (9 digit student number 100 xxx xxx) once issued as this will not be emailed. Please be sure to also email our office the signed policy form noted below.
The Continuing and Professional Studies office at KPU (CPS) manages Flexreg on behalf of Faculty of Health. Any issues with Flexreg can be directed to CPS in the event our office is unavailable. Help Desk can provide technical assistance at 604-599-2116 for issues with KPU log in, not Flexreg.
Applicants registering for a Competency Assessment & Enhancement for Nurses (CAEN), can purchase a seat via Flexreg for the appropriate month. Sponsored candidates will require a sponsorship letter from the sponsor (employer/union) that includes the name of the applicant, to whom the report should be sent and authority to invoice the third party with their name and address to send the invoice. Whether sponsoring or paying personally, the course to search on Flexreg is PNCA 1000. There are monthly options for self paid or sponsored, please select the appropriate course. As sponsored seats are invoiced to a third party, the rates on Flexreg may appear as $0 as the candidate is not responsible for the fees. In all cases, once a seat is purchased, please email our office to book the appointment. Any issues with trying to purchase a seat, please contact our office. In the email, please include the CRNBC/CLPNBC/CRPNBC file number, the signed policy form outlined (see “Policy Form” below) and indicate the preferred appointment date. Please note: for individuals who are sponsored to attend the CAEN, the CAEN results are sent directly to the third party. CAEN appointments occur on Wednesdays at the Langley campus. For more information on the CAEN, please access the course website.
Applicants registering for any of our Clinical courses, should read the information as outlined under the respective Clinical Course website links above before registering for the course via flexreg. Clinical registration can only occur if applicants have all their prerequisites ready including having mastered any and all education as identified by their assessment report (CAEN, NCAS, etc.) Do not purchase a seat for Clinical until all the prerequisites are complete and all other education is mastered as there are no refunds. All prerequisites must remain current for the duration of the applicable semester. If any of the prerequisites expire during the applicable semester, with the exception of IELTS or CELBAN, these must be renewed prior to purchasing a seat.
In addition to accessing the online Flexreg registration system, all students (except those only being fit tested) must submit a signed copy of the Policy Acknowledgement Form once applicants have read and understood the relevant policies as indicated in the form. This form is required at the time of registration and can be email or faxed.
The policies can be found at www.kpu.ca/policies and Student Rights & Responsibilities. In the event an applicant requires further clarification on the policies, please contact the Professional Studies office prior to signing and submitting the acknowledgement form.
Students interested in pursuing courses through KPU's Faculty of Health, Professional Studies Department should make themselves familiar with all course requirements. To review course requirements, please open the individual course websites listed above.
All students registering for any of our Consolidated Clinical Courses must demonstrate English language proficiency through original Canadian educational transcripts (secondary or post-secondary). Internationally educated students will require proof of English language proficiency through the International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) or the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN). Please open the individual Clinical Course websites above for further details.
Students with mental or physical impairments, who may require program or practicum (preceptorship) accommodations, should contact the Program Director at 604.599.2053 to discuss required skills and competencies, and a Disability Advisor at 604.599.2148 to ensure appropriate accommodations can be arranged prior to registering for Professional Studies courses. Due to time constraints, accommodations cannot be considered after a person has registered for a course.
Current schedules are available on Flexreg under "meeting times" for each course. Students can search for courses on Flexreg by typing PNUR in the search box to view all the available options or type PNUR (PNCA 1000 for the CAEN) and the specific course number to see a specific course. Only those courses open for registration will appear on Flexreg. To view the schedule, select “course details” and “meeting times”. If a course does not appear on Flexreg, please email our program assistant.
All Faculty of Health, Professional Studies course fees are non-refundable/non-transferrable.
How to reach us
The Faculty of Health, Professional Studies Office is located at the KPU Langley campus in the South Building, Room L1853 (this is on the ground floor).
Preferred contact is via email
Office phone number is 604-599-2232
Fax number is 604-599-2460
Open lab practice sessions
Students registered in any of our Professional Studies courses, with the exception of PNUR 9001-Fit Testing, PNUR 1199-NCLEX Boot Camp and PNCA 1000-CAEN, are eligible to attend the open practice simulation sessions hosted at KPU's Langley nursing labs throughout the semester. The practice sessions are drop-in however, Professional Studies students are required to pre-book their sessions by emailing the Program Assistant. Students registered for the PNCA 1000-CAEN Assessment, PNUR 1199-NCLEX Boot Camp or PNUR 9001-Fit Testing are not eligible to attend these simulation workshops. The simulation sessions are designed to provide students with additional practice times in the simulation lab so they can improve their skills. New skills are not taught during this open practice, therefore, students would practice only the skills they have reviewed in advance. Current student registration, KPU student ID, uniform, name tag and lab kits are required to attend these sessions. Lab kits can be purchased in advance at the Langley bookstore if needed. Please contact our office for a list of current sessions being offered.
Immigrant Access Fund Canada (IAF) is a registered charity/not-for-profit that provides microloans to immigrants and refugees that had a profession before coming to Canada, but lack the financial resources to cover the cost of re-certification/licensing or upgrading of their education. More information can be found by calling 1-855-423-2262 or by visiting their website at www.iafcanada.org