- Consolidated Clinical and Specialized Clinical registration are open for Spring (January - April).
- The Spring Nurse Ready "3 week" sessions are now sold out. We do not have a waitlist. If a student drops the course their available seat will automatically reflect on Flexreg once they are dropped. As we have no refunds or transfers in Professional Studies, we don't typically receive many drops. There are 12 seats per session. Delivery is mixed mode of online, classroom, lab and group work. Class runs 9:30am-2:30pm Wed-Fri for 3 consecutive weeks. The spring session dates are published on flexreg under "meeting times". Please note: all dates can be subject to change
- The Spring Nurse Ready Boot Camp sessions (called Condensed on flexreg) are available on Flexreg for registration. We take 20 students per session. Boot camp sessions run Mon-Fri for one consecutive week from 4:00pm-9:00pm each night. Students are with the instructor in the nursing lab for the entire week. The spring sessions run Feb 5-9, Mar 12-16, April 16-20. Cost includes a professional grade stethoscope and uniform. As there are no refunds or transfers in Professional Studies, if you buy a seat for the PNUR 9030 Nurse Ready Boot Camp (referred to as condensed on flexreg) it is not possible to transfer to the PNUR 9030 Nurse Ready "3 week" option. Please note: the Boot camp would not be suitable for those taking Nurse Ready for GNIE.
- Nurse Ready Presentation Nurse Ready Pwrpt_Nov 2017.pptx
Please check our website below for these exciting courses!
PNUR 9019 - EARLY RECOGNITION AND INTERVENTION FOR THE DETERIORATING PATIENT*
Performing focused physical assessments and determining appropriate interventions serve as the benchmarks for dealing with medical emergencies. This one-day workshop will use clinical examples to identify key assessments and interventions for a number of emergent situations: stroke, seizures, delirium, asthma, pulmonary embolus, acute cardiac events and hypo/hyperglycemia. Check out the website below for further details.
PNUR 9031 - GERONTOLOGY IN NURSING*
Available the Fall of 2017 - Older adults is our fastest growing population, and this online course is suitable for all LPNs and RNs. Keep up to date with the latest research and the importance of excellence in nursing with your clients and families. Check out the website below for further details
PNUR 9032 - PHARMACOLOGY FOR LPNs*
Learners will demonstrate entry level Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) pharmacology knowledge under the guidance of a Tutor. Check out the website below for further details.
PNUR 9033 - LPN CANADIAN NURSING THEORY & PRACTICE*
Provides a broad overview of nursing knowledge specific to the role and responsibilities of the expanded scope of practice for LPNs in Canada under the guidance of a Tutor. Check out the website below for further details.
The Faculty of Health, Professional Studies Office is located at the KPU Langley campus in the South Building, Room L1853 (this on the ground floor).
Please check individual courses below for updates
All Faculty of Health, Professional Studies course fees noted below are non-refundable/non-transferrable
Registration for Professional Studies Courses in the Faculty of Health is as follows:
Applicants wanting to register for a Competency Assessment & Enhancement for Nurses (CAEN), please purchase a seat via Flexreg for the appropriate month. Sponsored candidates will require a sponsorship letter from the sponsor (employer/union) that includes the name of the applicant, to whom the report should be sent and authority to invoice the third party with their name and address to send the invoice. Whether sponsoring or paying personally, the course to search on Flexreg is PNCA 1000. There are monthly options for self paid or sponsored, please select the appropriate course. As sponsored seats are invoiced to a third party, the rates on Flexreg appear as $0 as the candidate is not responsible for the fees. In all cases, once a seat is purchased, please email our office to book the appointment. In the email, please include the CRNBC/CLPNBC/CRPNBC fil number, the signed policy form outlined below and indicate the preferred appointment date. Please note: for individuals who are sponsored to attend the CAEN, the CAEN results are sent directly to the third party. CAEN appointments occur on Wednesdays at the Langley campus. For more information on the CAEN, please access the PNCA 1000 course website link below.
Applicants wanting to register for Consolidated Clinical (PNUR 1130), should read the information as outlined under the Consolidated Clinical Course (PNUR 1130) website link below before registering for the course via the flexreg system. Clinical registration can only occur if applicants have all their prerequisites ready including having mastered any and all education as identified in their letter from CRNBC, this includes both step 1 and step 2 of the letter and have emailed the requirements to the Professional Studies office for review. Do not purchase a seat for Clinical if you do not have all the prerequisites ready and you have not mastered all the education as there are no refunds. All prerequisites must remain current for the duration of the applicable semester. If any of the prerequisites expire during the applicable semester, with the exception of IELTS or CELBAN, these must be renewed prior to purchasing a seat.
Applicants wanting to register for Fit Testing (PNUR 9001), can do so by accessing the course website link below for Fit Testing. The instructions are noted on our fit testing webpage, along with the links to flexreg.
Applicants wanting to register for any of our other nursing courses, please continue reading. Registration is available online via the flexreg system on KPU's CPS home page. The link to this online registration system is www.kpu.ca/cps The individual course numbers are listed below. Click on the link for each course to review details regarding that course. Once you know which courses you wish to register for, you can access the link above to be redirected to the CPS home page and then select the "Register Now" grey box to open the flexreg site. When you open the flexreg site, you can search PNUR, all available PNUR courses will be available on the flexreg system for you to select. Please review each course carefully to ensure you select the correct course date as multiple options may apply. To purchase a course, select "add course" and then select "register" in the bottom right corner. If you already have a KPU ID, just sign in, otherwise you will need to create a profile. Please be sure to also send us your signed policy form noted in the next section.
Policy Form details, please continue reading. In addition to accessing the online flexreg registration system, all students (except those only being fit tested) must submit a signed copy of the Policy Acknowledgement Form once applicants have read and understood the relevant policies as indicated in the form. This form is required at the time of registration and can be faxed to 604-599-2460 or scanned to email. The policies can be found at www.kpu.ca/policies and Student Rights & Responsibilities. In the event an applicant requires further clarification on the policies, please contact the Professional Studies office prior to signing and submitting the acknowledgement form.
Registrants are responsible to check for any last minute changes or updates.
Students interested in pursuing courses through KPU's Faculty of Health, Professional Studies Department should make themselves familiar with all course requirements. To review course requirements, please open the individual course websites listed below. All students registering for the Consolidated Clinical Course must demonstrate English language proficiency through original Canadian educational transcripts (secondary or post-secondary). Internationally educated students will require proof of English language proficiency through the International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) or the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN). Please open the Consolidated Clinical Course website link below for further details.
Students with mental or physical impairments, who may require program or practicum (preceptorship) accommodations, should contact the Program Director at 604.599.2053 to discuss required skills and competencies, and a Disability Advisor at 604.599.2148 to ensure appropriate accommodations can be arranged prior to registering for Professional Studies courses. Due to time constraints, accommodations cannot be considered after a person has registered for a course.
Current schedules are available on Flexreg for all courses open for registration. The link to flexreg is www.kpu.ca/cps. Students can search for courses on flexreg by typing PNUR in the search box to view the options available or type PNUR and the course number to see a specific course. Only those courses open for registration will appear on flexreg. If the course you are interested in does not appear on flexreg, please email our program assistant.
Course Website Links
- Competency Assessment & Enhancement for Nurses (CAEN) (PNCA 1000)*
- NCLEX Boot Camp - For RNs (formerly Canadian Registered Nurse Exam Preparation) (PNUR 1199)*
- Critical Thinking and Clinical Decision Making (PNUR 1122)*
- Consolidated Clinical Course (250 hours) (PNUR 1130)*
- Specialized Clinical Course (400 hours) (PNUR 9020)*
- Health & Physical Assessment (PNUR 1109)*
- Canadian Nursing Theory and Practice - For RNs (formerly Medical Surgical Review) (PNUR 1112)*
- Nursing Documentation (PNUR 1114)*
- Introduction to the Canadian Health Care System and Nursing in Canada - For RNs (PNUR 1101)*
- Pharmacology (PNUR 1100)*
- Professional Communication (PNUR 1120)*
- Psychomotor Skills Review (PNUR 1111)*
- Fit Testing (PNUR 9001)*
- Early Recognition and Intervention for the Deteriorating Patient - For RNs (PNUR 9019)*
- Basic Electrocardiogram (ECG) Interpretation - for RNs (PNUR 9012)*
- Nurse Ready (PNUR 9030)*
- Gerontology In Nursing (PNUR 9031)*
- Pharmacology for LPNs (PNUR 9032)*
- LPN Canadian Nursing Theory & Practice (PNUR 9033)*
Open Lab Practice Simulation Sessions
Students registered in any of our Professional Studies courses, with the exception of PNUR 9001-Fit Testing, PNUR 1199-NCLEX Boot Camp and PNCA 1000-CAEN, are eligible to attend the open practice simulation sessions hosted at KPU's Langley sim labs throughout the semester. The practice sessions are drop-in however, Professional Studies students are required to pre-book their sessions by emailing the Program Assistant. Students registered for the PNCA 1000-CAEN Assessment, PNUR 1199-NCLEX Boot Camp or PNUR 9001-Fit Testing are not eligible to attend these simulation workshops. The simulation sessions are designed to provide students with additional practice times in the simulation lab so they can improve their skills. New skills are not taught during this open practice, therefore, students would practice only the skills they have reviewed in advance. Current student registration, KPU student ID, uniform, name tag and lab kits are required to attend these sessions. Lab kits can be purchased in advance at the Langley bookstore if needed. Please contact our office for a list of current sessions being offered.
Immigrant Access Fund Canada (IAF) is a registered charity/not-for-profit that provides microloans to immigrants and refugees that had a profession before coming to Canada, but lack the financial resources to cover the cost of re-certification/licensing or upgrading of their education. More information can be found by calling 1-855-423-2262 or by visiting their website at www.iafcanada.org