Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s School of Horticulture is excited to offer this newly established Professional Pest Management program which provides customized technical training to members of the Structural Pest Management Association of BC (SPMABC) and interested individuals. It provides additional, up-to-date training in technical aspects of pest management, quality assurance and customer care to upgrade or extend your professional industry development.
Who will benefit from this course?
- Professional Pest Managers
- Landscape Managers
- Childcare Safety Advocates
- Pest Control Technicians
- Public Building Managers
- Environmental Advocates
- Regulatory Personnel
Program content and format:
The program consists of four modules — this is the first Foundational Level, Module 1 which will happen over three days. The course includes lecture and laboratory sessions. In the lab, you will learn how to properly preserve and examine the morphology of insect specimens using stereo microscopes and/or a hand lens. Students are encouraged to review lecture slides prior to each class and be prepared to discuss any questions you may have. There will be a brief quiz at the beginning of each class to review material from the previous day. At the end of the three-day course, there will be an exam to test your knowledge of all of the content covered.
Foundation Module 1:
- Basic insect biology
- Survey of important structural pest orders and families
- Pest behavior
- Pesticide application; math for chemical use
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) philosophy and practices
- Basic pesticide chemistry, safety, regulations
- Safety protocols and professionalism when you’re at the work site
Participants who successfully complete the course will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify key morphological features of arthropods
- Understand basic insect biology
- Understand integrated pest management principles
- Recognize insect behavior as related to structural pest management
- Manipulate live or preserved specimens without damage
- Identify arthropods from live or preserved specimens to Order or Family using a range of resources and keys
- Recognize the hazards associated with the use of chemical pesticides
Tuition cost: $341.25 (incl. GST)
Instructor: Cameron Lait, BSc (Biology), PhD (Major Plant Biochemistry & Physiology)
Dates: Nov. 21, 23 & 24, 2018 | 9:00 am-3:30 pm
Location: KPU Langley campus | 20901 Langley Bypass | Langley, BC
If you have any questions, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org.