XCEL Program - Get a head start on your university studies in Grade 12!
KPU and the Langley School District have partnered together to create the XCEL Program - an exciting opportunity for students of several secondary schools in Langley. This pathway will allow Grade 12 students to take two university courses during their Grade 12 year at KPU's Langley campus. Xcel provides exciting opportunities to take two university courses (6 credits) and get a sneak peek into what life as a university student is like.
- A head start on university studies
- Free tuition and waived application fee
- Evening classes on the Langley campus
- Various support services, including study strategies and career advising
- Networking with fellow Xcel and KPU students
Eligible Xcel students will register for one KPU course each semester. Students will have a small selection of courses to choose from and each course will be applicable towards their intended program of study at KPU or will be transferable to other post-secondary institutions in BC, including UBC and SFU.
How to Apply
Interested students will apply while they are in Grade 11 and attend KPU in their Grade 12 year. This exciting opportunity is available to any Grade 11 student from the following schools:
- Langley Secondary
- Brookswood Secondary
- Aldergrove Community Secondary
- DW Poppy Secondary
- Langley Fine Arts
- Langley Fundamental Middle/Secondary
- R.E. Mountain Secondary
- Walnut Grove Secondary
To be admitted into the program students will need:
- B or higher in English 11
- B or higher in Socials 11
- B or higher in a Math or Science 11
- Recommendation to the program from a school administrator
- Note: the above criteria is subject to change.
For an application form, please contact your school principal or counsellor.
KPU is regrettably unable to offer access to evening courses. However we offer a wide selection of entry-level and transferable courses that require no additional pre-requisites. Some of the courses that might be offered include:
- Introduction to Philosophy (PHIL 1100)
- Introduction to International Relations (POLI 1150)
- Introduction to Marketing (MRKT 1199)
- Introduction to Criminology (CRIM 1100)
- Introduction to Sociology (SOCI 1125)
- Organizational Behaviour (BUSI 1215)
Time and Location
Each semester, courses will be offered from 4:00 - 7:00pm, on either a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening. Students will choose one of these days to attend. Students should also know that this does not include the necessary homework and study time that will be required for a university course. Each university course usually requires 6-9 hours per week of study and homework time.
These courses will be considered part of the students Grade 12 curriculum. Tuition is free ($400 per course) and KPU will waive the application fee that is required by most students. The only costs to students will be for textbooks, which are approximately $100 per course. Textbooks are available through the KPU bookstore at the Langley campus.
Details & Questions
For students who have met the above admission requirements, the first step is to contact their school’s Xcel contact for an initial interview and application package. Make sure that the application is submitted to the student's school by the deadline.
The Spring 2015 application deadline is Oct 23rd, 2014. The Fall 2015 application deadline is April 2015 tbc.
For additional information, please contact:
KPU: Brittany McNeill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.599.3019
Langley School District: Pat Rosen at email@example.com or 604.534.7891
Explore University. Discover KPU.