The O-Team Leaders are the first faces for new students entering post-secondary at KPU, and serve to help the new students transition into the KPU way of life. This transition can be difficult and scary for some, so the O-Team is there to provide a genuine peer-to-peer welcome, and show them all the supports that KPU offers, which will increase their chances of success in their first year of post-secondary. In other words, the O-Team is kind of a big deal!
We have several opportunities available for the upcoming Spring 2018 Orientation season, and recruitment for the 2018 O-Team has begun. Please click the links below to view the position description and requirements for each opportunity, and join now:
Role of an Orientation Leader
- - Inform students about the resources available to them at KPU
- - Answer questions and provide advice about what to expect when starting classes at KPU
- - Promote a safe, inclusive environment within the new student groups
- - Demonstrate leadership to the new students and the KPU community
- - Help new students meet other peers
- - Mentor a small group of new students throughout their first semester (dependent on position)
- - Create a positive KPU campus culture
The O-Team is a volunteer opportunity that challenges you to develop your leadership, public speaking, mentorship, and group facilitation skills, as well as your event planning skills. It's also an opportunity where you can meet and socialize with like-minded students. Did we mention the O-Team is really fun!? It's your chance to leave your legacy at KPU through the futures of the new students. Your O-Team experience looks great on your resume and scholarship applications.
Qualifications will vary by position. Please review each position description for the full details. At minimum:
- - Enjoy working on a team & have a desire to make KPU a better place
- - Good communication skills in English
- - Attend all required training and office hours
- - Be able to work at least one full day of Fall Orientation on your choice of campus...however two are preferred
What past O leaders have said about their experience:
I feel I improved my interpersonal skills, leadership skills, and I also received self-satisfaction from being able to help new students transition into Kwantlen by showing them around and offering them some tips and advice.
I learned a lot about working successfully in groups which I would be able to use in my day to day life. Orientation gave me an opportunity to get to know amazing people.
I enjoyed the friendly energy of the team. Everybody was helpful and willing to have a good time. It was fun to be able to meet fellow students from Kwantlen with similar interests and goals.
Have questions? Email us at email@example.com, or call us at 604-599-2714