The Government of Canada generously helps to cover the indirect costs of research at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) through the Research Support Fund (RSF). The RSF program formerly known as the Indirect Costs Program, is a tri-agency initiative of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). The RSF contributes to KPU’s ability to maintain a supportive research environment that enables researchers to be leaders in their fields. KPU recognizes that the funds received from RSF are derived from the taxes paid annually by Canadians and is committed to using these resources in the most efficient and ethical way possible to maximize its research outputs and impacts. The RSF is instrumental in growing research at KPU, it helps by covering a variety of costs which include:
- Management and Administration
- Regulatory Requirements and Accreditation
- Research Facilities and Technical Support
- Research Resources
- Knowledge Mobilization
Kwantlen Polytechnic University applies annually to receive a grant through the RSF program to help pay for a portion of the administrative costs related to federally funded research. KPU received $87,527 in Research Support Funds in 2018 and is allocating these funds to the following categories:
- Research Resources: $9,500
- Management and Administration: $62,490.64
- Intellectual Property and Knowledge Mobilization: $15,536.36
KPU’s 2017-18 Performance Objectives, Indicators and Outcomes for Federal RSF expenditures can be found here.
KPU supports a broad range of applied research, scholarship, and creative artistry as an integral part of its polytechnic culture of teaching and learning, community engagement, and social innovation. The linkage between distinctive program streams and applied research enables students and faculty to apply practical knowledge and skills in real-world contexts and establish collaborative partnerships with local communities, industry and government.
KPU’s Office of Research and Scholarship provides the following research support:
- We provide top-quality administrative support to the KPU community. We assist faculty to develop and launch innovative research and scholarship projects that integrate with teaching and learning and create a dynamic and enriched educational experience for students.
- We ensure that KPU is compliant with the terms and conditions for participation in and eligibility for funding support from the Federal Tri-Council agencies (NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR) and other funding agencies.
- We ensure that KPU's research funding policies and procedures are open, transparent and accountable. We work with faculty to ensure that Kwantlen's research projects are compliant with relevant institutional policies and assist faculty with the ethics review process.
- The optimum role of the ORS is to showcase, promote, and support KPU's faculty and students in the pursuit of research, scholarship, and creative artistry.
Click here to learn more about KPU’s Strategic Vision.
Click here to learn more about KPU’s Academic Plan.
Click here for the Scholarly Activity Report 2017