2019 EVENT UPDATE
The Wilson School of Design at KPU is thrilled to once again be named as the Vancouver National Portfolio Day host for 2019. This year's event will be on Saturday November 16, 2019, from 11am to 3pm.
The Wilson School of Design at KPU is proud to host the 2019 Vancouver National Portfolio Day event in our beautiful campus, situated beside the main KPU Richmond Campus.
Wilson School of Design at KPU
5600 Kwantlen Street
Richmond, British Columbia
Date: Saturday November 16, 2019
Time: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Attendees must register to attend this free event. Please register using the Eventbrite link below. Only students who wish to meet with schools to have their portfolio reviewed should register (not parents or friends).
If you have not registered prior to the event, you will be required to register on site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should attend this event?
Students who are considering a post-secondary education in art or design are encouraged to attend. Perhaps you are already studying in university or college, and are considering a change in your education path? Come meet with schools who you may be interested in, bring your portfolio, find out about admission requirements, and get feedback on your work. Feel free to bring your parents, a friend, a teacher or counsellor. Sometimes, having someone with you to provide support and an extra pair of 'ears' can be helpful.
What should I bring to a National Portfolio Day?
Your portfolio can include finished pieces, work in progress, and sketchbooks. We ask you to bring your original artwork whenever possible. We suggest that you do not spend time and money matting or framing your work. Keep your presentation simple; the work itself is what is of interest to us. We will provide wifi access, so if your work is online or in a digital format, feel free to bring your laptop or tablet.
Will I be able to meet with all of the schools at the event?
No. Typically, there are over 1000 students who attend this event, and there just aren't enough hours for every school to meet with every student. However, we recommend making your own short-list of the Top 3-5 schools you hope to connect with and try to meet with those first.
Do I have to wait to meet with school representatives?
Yes. Students line up to meet with each of the schools they wish to connect with. Be prepared to wait, and bring your positive attitude (and maybe some snacks!). You will have a chance to meet many other students who will also be waiting, and perhaps you can make some new friends.
Can I reserve a meeting time with school representatives?
No. All schools meet with event attendees on a first come, first served basis.
Can I "camp out" the night before the event, to get access to the front of the line?
No. Due to liability issues, we will not permit anyone to line up outside our building prior to 8:00am on the day of the event. Anyone attempting to line up prior to that time will be asked by security to leave the premises.
Will there be wifi available, so I can bring my computer/device to show my digital portfolio?
Yes. The wifi access details will be posted throughout our venue.
How do I get to the event venue?
We are located across from the Lansdowne Skytrain station, across from the Lansdowne Centre (across from T&T Supermarket). There are several bus stops near our building, check with Translink for details. Our address is 5600 Kwantlen Street. We also have ample parking available onsite.
Will I be able to purchase snacks or food?
There is a Tim Horton's available on campus, and, directly across from our campus is the Lansdowne Centre. Feel free to bring your own snacks, as you will be waiting in line-ups.
I am coming from out of town. Can you recommend a hotel nearby?
Who is the National Portfolio Day Association?
The National Portfolio Day Association (NPDA) was created in 1978, solely for the organization and planning of National Portfolio Days. The association consists of representatives from regionally accredited US colleges and universities that are accredited institutional members of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and Canadian colleges and universities that are members of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) or that hold NASAD Substantial Equivalency status. NPDA is the only organization of its kind and the membership represents the highest standard of visual arts education available in the United States and Canada.
What is a National Portfolio Day?
National Portfolio Day is an annual event, held in multiple locations across the United States and Canada, produced specifically for emerging visual artists and designers. It is an opportunity for those who wish to pursue an education in art and design to meet one on one with professional representatives from colleges and universities who are accredited.
The event is a unique opportunity to meet individually with professionals who can provide valuable feedback and guidance on your portfolio of work (i.e.: artwork, sketches, designs and creative materials) additionally, you will have the chance to discuss the specific school's programs and get answers to questions about professional careers in art and design. High school students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors and college transfer students are encouraged to attend.
Participating schools at our event:
- Alberta University of the Arts - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Alfred University School of Art and Design - Alfred, New York, USA
- ArtCenter College of Design - Pasadena, California, USA
- Cal Arts - Valencia, California, USA
- California College of the Arts - San Francisco, California, USA
- College for Creative Studies - Detroit, Michigan, USA
- Columbus College of Art & Design - Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Concordia University - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Drexel University - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising) - Los Angeles, California, USA
- Maine College of Art - Portland, Maine, USA
- Maryland Institute College of Art - Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- New York School of Interior Design - New York, New York, USA
- Nova Scotia College of Art & Design (NSCAD University) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- OCAD University - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Otis College of Art and Design - Los Angeles, California, USA
- Pacific Northwest College of Art - Portland, Oregon, USA
- Paris College of Art - Paris, France
- Parsons School of Design at the New School - New York, New York, USA
- Pratt Institute - Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Rhode Island School of Design - Cranston, Rhode Island, USA
- Ryerson University - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- San Francisco Art Institute - San Francisco, California, USA
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Chicago, Illinois, USA
- School of Visual Arts - New York, New York, USA
- SMFA at Tufts (School of the Museum of Fine Arts) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- The University of British Columbia - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- University of the Arts London - King's Cross, London, Great Britain
- Washington University in St. Louis - St. Louis, Missouri, USA
- Wilson School of Design at KPU - Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
- York University (School of the Arts, Media Performance & Design) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Visit www.nationalportfolioday.org for more information about specific events and attending colleges and universities.