This math test will place you into the appropriate level of math upgrading at KPU.
You should take this test if you are registered in the Adult Basic Education program, or wish to pursue the Adult Dogwood, or have not completed Foundations Pre-calculus 11 or Foundations of Math 11and need that for your program.
The assessment is composed of two sections:
Part 1: Arithmetic Test (no calculators allowed):
- Whole numbers: place value and rounding, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Fractions: changing to equivalent fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Decimals: changing to fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Ratio and proportion: simplifying ratios, finding the missing value in a proportion, word problem
- Percents: converting between percentages, decimals and fractions, solving percent problems
Part Two: Algebra (calculators allowed):
- Finding roots and powers, simplifying expressions with roots and powers, using scientific notation
- Solving equations: in one variable, solving a system of two equations and two variables, solving inequalities
- Polynomials: simplifying, operations with polynomials, factoring
- Graphing: plotting a linear equation, finding slope and intercepts;
- Word problems: using single variable equations
Each section is untimed. However, most students take approximately 30 - 45 minutes per section.
If you have questions about your test results, please book an appointment for Academic Advising, https://kpu.ca/advising/advisor-connect.
Assessment & Testing Services: "Opening Doors to Student Success"