Job Title: Volunteer Farm Hand
This is an opportunity to get outside and join the Sustainable Agriculture students and faculty and learn more about your local food system. With us you can get relevant hands-on experience on a working farm. We will also help you hone your gardening skills and plant knowledge. We need your help to further develop our Learning Garden and engage with your community about food.
Location: KPU Farm at the Garden City Lands
Department: Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems (SAFS) @ KPU
- Mandatory safety orientation and farm tours: April 15th and June 15th
- Applications received after these dates will be considered for the next on-boarding dates, to be scheduled subject to number of volunteers
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend and complete all work and safety training and orientation sessions conducted by the SAFS department.
- Conduct job duties assigned by the volunteer coordinator, which includes; starting seeds, weeding, transplanting seedlings, harvesting for market, maintenance of non-productive areas etc.
- Understand and comply with the safety policy in the workplace.
- Follow all instructions pertaining to tool usage and harvesting requirements.
- This is a collaborative environment and is strongly encouraged to do so with your fellow volunteers, the coordinator and KPU Farms staff.
- Passionate about food, agriculture, and/or gardening.
- We are looking for individuals who are self-motivated, who are also able to work in a team.
- Comfortable and prepared to work outdoors.
- No physical restraints
- Communication skills are an strong asset
- Experience gardening or on a farm
- Basic plant (weeds) identification.