KPU History endeavours to offer each upper level course at least once during a two-year period (including Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters), faculty resources permitting. See below for information on courses available by Guided Study.
This plan projects our course offerings through the Spring Semester 2020. This list remains tentative until the official Registration Guide & Timetable is released. It is very likely that the course plan will change as faculty resources and budgets shift, so please wait until the Registration Guide & Timetable is released before finalizing your course planning.
Availability of History Courses:
Courses at the 1000 and 2000 level are offered in a regular rotation whenever possible. Courses with high demand, such as Canadian, European, and World History are ordinarily offered on each campus (Surrey, Richmond, and Langley). Remember that a broad grounding in lower level history is often more appropriate than a geographically defined focus. If you complete a broad range of introductory courses you will be much better prepared to complete our upper level courses successfully. Upper level courses are usually offered on the Surrey Campus, but we endeavour to offer 2-3 upper level courses in Richmond each year.
Effective Summer 2017 the Department of History will be offering between 12 and 15 courses in the summer, primarily on the Surrey Campus, but with some courses offered in Richmond and Langley according to demand.
Since History is a relatively small department, the number of courses offered in a given academic semester may be limited. However, courses may also be offered as guided study courses, in a one-on-one or small group format. In order to complete a course by guided study you must follow the steps outlined below:
1. Contact the faculty member(s) who ordinarily teaches the course and ascertain whether that faculty member is willing to teach the course by guided study. This decision rests solely with the faculty member.
2. Make an appointment with one of the Arts B.A. Advisors (using the Advisor Connect system) who will guide you through the completion of the guided study paperwork and ensure that you meet the following criteria:
- you must have successfully completed or received transfer credit for a minimum of twelve (12) semester credit hours at Kwantlen
- you must have achieved a minimum CGPA of 3.00
- your enrolment in a guided study must not result in exceeding the normal academic workload for your student's program
- you must be currently enrolled in at least one (1) other course at Kwantlen (SFAREGS banner report)
3. The Dean's Office will issue the final approval for the guided study course. This can take up to six weeks during busy periods of the semester, so please ensure that your paperwork is completed at least 2 months before the planned start date of the course.