General Studies: Bachelor of Arts Major
The Bachelor of Arts, Major in General Studies degree program provides you with the opportunity to develop a degree program that suits your unique interests, combining courses across different Arts disciplines. Working with an Arts Degree Advisor, you can create a personal program of study that helps you reach specific career and personal goals, intentionally developing a broad interdisciplinary liberal arts education. Completing this degree will normally involve a selection of courses from a number of departments that form around a unifying theme.
The program includes:
- Development of disciplinary knowledge, core competencies, and transferable skills characteristic of traditional Bachelor of Arts programs
- Preparation for entry into the labour market by incorporating essential and employability skills in all courses
- Increasing your capacity to respond innovatively to emerging trends in society
- Opportunities for forging connections within the South Fraser region by completing research, volunteering, or working in your field of interest while completing your KPU degree
Students pursuing a major in General Studies must be admitted to the Faculty of Arts.
Students intending to graduate with this Faculty of Arts Bachelor’s degree must declare the credential by the time they complete 60 credits of undergraduate coursework. At the time of declaration, the student must satisfy all of the following requirements:
- In good academic standing with the University
- Completion of a minimum of 18 credits of undergraduate coursework, including the following with a minimum grade of “C”:
- 3 credits of ENGL at the 1100 level or higher
- 6 credits at the 1100 level or higher in the Major area
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete all requirements in the Bachelor of Arts framework in addition to their major or minor program requirements.
The program structure for each student in the BA, Major in General Studies program will vary depending upon the focus and concentration of courses developed in consultation with the Arts Degree Advisor and may include any minor programs offered by KPU. Students preparing for teacher education programs upon graduation are encouraged to refer to the appropriate institutional admission requirements and work with a Arts Degree Advisor to ensure they include appropriate courses in their degree program.
Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to receive a Bachelor of Arts, General Studies. Students may have the option of adding a Minor to their credential by completing any of the BA Minor options at KPU.
At a Glance
Faculty of Arts
- Baccalaureate Degree
- Open intake
Minimum Credits Required:
Curriculum Effective Date: