Health science is a multidisciplinary field that examines health, illness and disease in human communities from various perspectives. Foundations in the basic sciences of chemistry, physics, mathematics and broad knowledge of human biology are used to gain an understanding of current health issues and the advancement of health and wellness.
In this section
Students who are successful in health sciences tend to be self-motivated, have a strong work ethic and have well-developed oral and written communications skills. They should have a strong interest in life science and human biology and a desire to pursue a career within the broad range of options that exist in the health care field.
Careers in the Health Science field include, but are not limited to:
- Health research
- Pharmaceutical and health product sales and distribution
- Health management
- Health education and programming
Students may decide to continue their education into a professional field such as:
- Veterinary medicine
- Occupational therapy
- Speech language pathology/therapy
- Medical technologies such as, radiology, cardiology technician, nuclear medicine technician, etc.
- Academic research
- Industrial research
- Primary/secondary/post-secondary education
- Chiropractic medicine
Students with complementary education may pursue a career in:
- Holistic medicine
- Traditional Asian medicine