Human Resources Management
The Human Resources Management (HRMT) programs provide full-time and part-time intensive study for students wishing to undertake studies in the human resources management field.
Based on extensive consultations with business leaders, and explicit reference to the Required Professional Capabilities of the Certified Human Resources Practitioner (CHRP) designations, Human Resources Management course content is designed to prepare students to achieve the CHRP designation and for a range of Human Resources Professional roles.
The Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Human Resources Management program provides full-time and part-time intensive study for students wishing to undertake studies in the human resources management field.
The Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Human Resources Management program is designed for adult learners who have completed a bachelor-level degree, and who are looking for a pathway to professional employment in the human resources management profession.
Graduates of the programs acquire the following:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills by assessing and interpreting source materials, evaluating arguments, examining and applying both case-based and real-world business based projects, as consulting teams in the development of business and human resources management solutions
- Skills to manage communication initiatives to create and implement human resources initiatives and programs that achieve organizational goals
- Professional and persuasive communications skills
- An understanding of the entire organization, and the important role of corporate citizenship
- Collaboration skills with all functional areas of an organization (accounting, human resources, operations, production, marketing, information technology, etc.)
- Skills necessary to work effectively in teams, assuming roles of leader and follower, as appropriate
Some unique features of this program include:
- Direct incorporation of Intended Learning Outcomes based on the Certified Human Resources Professional Requirements and industry feedback
- Industry based practicum capstone course, learning partnerships with business, applied projects and assignments and ongoing work experience
- Professional development for individuals seeking higher level training
- Opportunities for Cooperative Education employment while earning a degree
The HRMT programs provide full-time and part-time intensive study options for students to complete the program at their own pace. The majority of the HMRT designated courses are scheduled at 4:00 pm or in the evening to allow students to further their education while maintaining current employment. This allows for changing outside-of-school time requirements and does not lock a student into a rigid program structure and time-frame.
Many of the 1000 and 2000 level foundational courses included in the BBA HRMT program are articulated with other universities and colleges for ease of course transferability to and from KPU. Please refer to the BC Transfer Guide at http://www.bctransferguide.ca regarding the transferability of courses to and from specific institutions in British Columbia.
Please visit kpu.ca/business/programs-and-courses for more information on School of Business programs.
In this section
- High school graduates who wish to pursue a human resources career
- Business students from disciplines such as Accounting, Business Management, Economics, Computer Sciences and Information Systems who wish to continue their studies by expanding the depth and breadth of their knowledge, skills, and practical human resources management experience
- Current Kwantlen Polytechnic University students who have completed courses in a different discipline (i.e. Arts, Science, Horticulture, Graphic Design) who wish to better understand human resources management practices and strategies for their field
- Mid-level management working full-time, with some post secondary education, seeking to upgrade their skills in the marketing field through part-time studies
- International students seeking a BBA degree or Post Baccalaureate diploma in Human Resources Management from an accredited university
Depending upon their capabilities and experience, a graduate may be able to enter or advance within the field of human resources management in professional roles such as: