Thank you for your interest in KPU's Education Assistant Certificate Program. Listed below are answers to the most frequently asked questions.

*How many intakes does KPU offer?

The EDAS Program intakes students for a September start. The full time program is offered on the Langley campus and the part time program is offered on the Surrey Campus. Applications are accepted for the September intake beginning October 1. Applications for selective entry programs MUST be submitted by MARCH 1 in order to be given priority in the selection process. Applications will only be accepted after the application cut-off (but before the start of classes), subject to space availability.

*What are the entrance requirements for this program?

  • In addition to the Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, the following program admission requirements apply:

  • Approximately 100 hours of successful experience volunteering or working with children or youth, preferably in the schools (Applicants must submit two letters from employers or responsible persons in the community certifying this experience.) Details on this requirement can be found here: PDF iconVolunteer Hours Requirements.pdf
  • Attendance at an information session within the past two years of the intake date. Please register here: Information Session
  • Criminal Record review issued by the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
  • If you are not a Canadian citizen, you are required to secure a Criminal Record Search with the Vulnerable Sector from your country of origin. Note that your Criminal Record Search must be mailed directly from the issuing agency to the KPU Admissions Office.

*What if I don't have Grade 12 English at a C+ or above?

.You can take an English Placement Test to determine equivalency. To book an appointment for an English placement assessment, you must come in person to book and pay ($35.00), at any of our Admissions office locations (Langley, Cloverdale, Surrey, or Richmond campuses). EPT is $40 and can only be booked online (kpu.ca/testing). It is only offered at Surrey, Richmond and Tech. Please reach out to our Future Student's Office (FSO) at study@kpu.ca to discuss alternative ways that students can upgrade to meet the requirement.

*If I have taken related courses at another institution, what do I do?

If you have completed courses at another post-secondary educational institution, and wish to use those courses to satisfy program requirements at KPU, or substitute for courses in the program, you must submit a sealed official transcript and a Request for Transfer Credit form (available at all Admissions Offices) as soon as possible. Please note that requests for transfer credit evaluations take up to 8 weeks for processing and the deadline is June1 for us to guarantee it will be done for September.

*When will you notify students whether or not they have a seat?

Once the applicant has met the prerequisites required for this program, a seat offer letter will be sent out, pending seat availability. These letters usually begin to come out in mid-April but offers can start to go out as early as late January/early February.

*What is the schedule for the EDAS Program?

This program consists of classroom study and two four-week, full-time practicums in the schools. The full-time program is offered over nine months, Monday through Friday (and one Saturday during the second term). Most classes are offered in the daytime. The part-time program is offered over two years in two evenings, Tue. and Thurs. (7:00-10:00pm) a week and approximately 2-3 Saturdays per month (9:00-3:00). It also includes two, four week practicums in the schools. During practicum, students are required to attend full time days.

*Is this program transferable?

The EDAS Program is a credit program, consisting of 34 credits. Students are able to use their credits towards BA programs at KPU. Contact Arts Degree Advising for details.

*What is the minimum grade acceptable for each component of this program?

Students must achieve 60% (grade of C) or above in each course to progress to their final practicum.

*What is the cost of the program?

At present, the tuition cost is approximately $6,263.17 for the full time program. Textbooks are approximately $670 per term/year. There are also varied miscellaneous costs such as transportation, pay parking at the KPU campus and supplies, such as binders, pens, pencils, etc. These prices are approximate costs and are subject to change without notice.

*Is there a payment plan set up for this program?

Currently, the approximate breakdown of payment for full time students (may be subject to change) is as follows:

  • $500.00 – commitment fee (non refundable)
  • $2,613.03 – Term one ($2,863.03 (includes medical/dental $179.00) minus $500.00 commitment fee)
  • $3,400.14 – Term two

Part-time students: Total tuition $6,442.15 (includes medical/dental) (Subject to change)

  • $500.00 – commitment fee (non refundable)

The rest of the tuition will be broken down into 4 payments.

*Is funding available for this program?

Student loans are available for full-time students entering into this program. For further information, please contact our Financial Awards office at 599-2000, choose “Option 4”.

*What are the employment opportunities available once completing the program?

Upon graduation, Education Assistants find employment in elementary and secondary schools in B.C. as teacher assistants supporting students with diverse learning, behavioural, and personal care needs. The role of a teacher assistant is an important one in supporting the inclusion of children with disabilities in their schools.

*What is the approximate wage?

The approximate wage for graduates of this program ranges from $18.00 to $26.00 per hour, depending upon the school district.

*Where will I be able to work?

The EDAS Program is recognized by all of the school districts in the lower mainland. As well, it is comparable to other post-secondary programs in the province, offering students transferability and mobility should they chose to move.

*If I need more information, whom do I contact?