Clear expectations about the responsibilities of all parties are essential to a successful supervision relationship, and are outlined below.
The Role of the Project Leader at the designated Organization / Company:
- Allow access to Organization / Company records as appropriate to assigned tasks.
- Assist the student in the development of the project.
- Provide a general exposure to the professional environment with opportunities for learning.
- Communicate any problems to the course instructor.
The course Instructor agrees to:
- Describe the service learning activity and its relation to the course objectives in the course syllabus.
- Provide learning activities and discussion that help connect service learning with academic learning.
- Connect with the student and / or project leader, periodically throughout the term, to establish student activities; discuss possible goals; and to strategize final items.
- Identify problems as early as possible, and when necessary, devise a plan for their resolution.
- Monitor the learning experience to ensure the learning objectives are being met.
- Be available during the term, as well as at term end, to ensure project leaders are satisfied with student performance.
The Student agrees to:
- Uphold a level of professionalism in attire, language, and attitude, including keeping cell phone off.
- Abide by organizational policies and procedures, including confidentiality and respect for privacy of clients.
- Ask questions whenever unsure of any and all policies, procedures, project guidelines and expectations.
- Maintain attendance and punctuality, and take the responsibility to reschedule any missed dates.
- Promptly notify contacts about possibly missing a meeting, being late, or being absent (i.e. illness).
- Discuss with the Project Leader, or Faculty member, any areas of disagreement, dissatisfaction, or confusion with respect to any part of the service learning experience.
- Provide a letter of thanks to the Project Leader / Organization / Company for their help in assisting with learning outcomes.
Statement on Confidentiality:
Student and instructor will....
- maintain strict confidentiality of any information, both written and unwritten;
- use Organization/Company information for course work in designated course only; and
- not disseminate, publish, present, or copyright any information without prior express written permission.