Vice President, Students
Vice President, Students
Office of the President
Competition Number 19-111
As Canada’s only polytechnic university, we offer you the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community through a meaningful career working in a collaborative and inclusive culture. Join us and put your thoughts into action.
About Kwantlen Polytechnic University
At Kwantlen Polytechnic University we combine academic excellence with practical, hands-on and experiential learning opportunities that prepare our graduates for successful and rewarding careers, while also providing them with the critical understanding necessary for good citizenship.
We ensure that our graduates are prepared for a lifetime of learning and re-learning so they can adapt to the fast pace of change in the workplace and in society at large.
Located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, KPU offers a diverse range of credentials – including certificates, citations, diplomas and bachelor’s degrees – designed to successfully meet the evolving needs of regional and global employment markets. We offer work-integrated and service learning, connections to business and industry, and a supportive learning environment.
Our post-baccalaureate and graduate diplomas further enhance opportunities for working professionals to augment their knowledge and skills.
With programs in Arts, Business, Science and Horticulture, Health, Design, Trades and Technology, English language studies, adult upgrading and qualifying studies, KPU has proudly served the South Fraser Region of the Lower Mainland since 1981.
KPU has five campuses: three in Surrey, and one each in Richmond and Langley, with nearly 1,500 employees and over 20,000 students.
KPU is seeking a Vice President, Students. This position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of key student-focused strategies in alignment with the University’s Strategic Vision and Academic Plan. The Vice President, Students is also responsible for ensuring KPU provides its students with the most supportive, rewarding and enriching educational experience, and fosters the on-going development and provision of high-quality services for students, consistent with the University’s mission and vision.
This role reports to the President and Vice-Chancellor, which is responsible for the offices of the Registrar, Student Affairs and Services, Student Rights and Responsibilities. KPU International, and Future Students.
The Vice President, Students position is a senior academic administrator appointment that is for a five-year term, with the possibility of renewal for additional five year term, subject to satisfactory review.
Want to know more?
Click here to view the full position profile.
Who are we looking for?
- A demonstrated passion for, and accomplishment in, student success and inclusive and innovative approaches to higher education;
- A proven track record as a Vice President, Dean, or student affairs/services leader at a university or college, ideally within a unionized environment;
- A proven communicator who actively listens and has the ability to speak as an advocate for KPU to both internal and external audiences, including international audiences. Believes in the importance of communication;
- Experience and involvement with a broad range of cultures and backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusivity and intercultural competencies;
- Demonstrated awareness and understanding of the relevant Calls to Action of the 2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission with regard to the advancement of Canada’s Indigenous peoples;
- A positive relationship builder with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and engage with students and a wide range of internal and external stakeholders locally, nationally and internationally;
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in educational leadership as well as educational practices, issues and trends and attuned to current developments in student support;
- Capable of articulating the vision and plan set by the KPU community and inspiring action to achieve goals set in the plan;
- Able to provide leadership, support and mentorship during a time of growth and change;
- Able to inspire confidence and a sense of purpose;
- Willing to invest in the expeditious and judicious resolution of student issues and challenges;
- An informed, data-driven decision maker who is consultative, and who has confidence, good judgment and strong management skills;
- A positive, persuasive, diplomatic, engaging and collaborative style;
- A team leader and player with a collegial style of management who has the ability to facilitate and manage change in a multi-union, complex environment;
- Able to delegate effectively;
- Able to balance many competing priorities in the context of fiscal responsibilities.
What education & experience should you have?
- Master’s degree from a recognized university; a doctorate is considered an asset.
- Ongoing engagement in areas related to this portfolio.
- 10 years of progressive experience in academic and/or student affairs leadership roles.
KPU is a multi-campus institution, frequent travel between campuses will be required. The Office of the Vice President, Students is currently located in Surrey, BC.
Ready to Apply?
To apply for this role, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line in the following format:
Last Name – First Name, Competition Number xx-xx, Position Title.
For example, “Doe-John, Competition Number 19-111, VP Students”.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
For inquiries or recommendations related to this position, please contact:
Human Resources Business Partner
Human Resources Business Partner
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.