ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT, TEACHING AND LEARNING
ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT, TEACHING AND LEARNING - Competition Number 20-104
As Canada’s only polytechnic university, we offer you the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community through a meaningful career working in a collaborative and inclusive culture. Join us and put your thoughts into action.
About Kwantlen Polytechnic University
At Kwantlen Polytechnic University we combine academic excellence with practical, hands-on and experiential learning opportunities that prepare our graduates for successful and rewarding careers, while also providing them with the critical understanding necessary for good citizenship.
We ensure that our graduates are prepared for a lifetime of learning and re-learning so they can adapt to the fast pace of change in the workplace and in society at large.
Located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, KPU offers a diverse range of credentials – including certificates, citations, diplomas and bachelor’s degrees – designed to successfully meet the evolving needs of regional and global employment markets. We offer work-integrated and service learning, connections to business and industry, and a supportive learning environment.
Our post-baccalaureate and graduate diplomas further enhance opportunities for working professionals to augment their knowledge and skills.
With programs in Arts, Business, Science and Horticulture, Health, Design, Trades and Technology, English language studies, adult upgrading and qualifying studies, and continuing and professional studies, KPU has proudly served the South Fraser Region of the Lower Mainland, and beyond, since 1981.
KPU has five campuses: three in Surrey, and one each in Richmond and Langley, with nearly 1,500 employees and over 20,000 students.
KPU is seeking an Associate Vice President, Teaching and Learning. This position oversees employees in the Teaching and Learning Commons and supports the University’s focus on providing teaching and learning initiatives, educational development of faculty, learning technologies, flexible learning, and the institutional coordination of Academic Integrity and Prior Learning Assessment with a continuous focus on student success.
This position reports to the Provost and Vice President Academic and will play a leadership role in achieving the vision of the university as “innovative, transformative and ambitious” in its teaching and learning by working with other university leaders, faculty and professional staff to plan, implement, evaluate and continually enhance KPU’s learning and teaching environment.
Want to know more?
Please see below to view the job description for the role of Associate Vice President Teaching and Learning:
Who are we looking for?
• Someone to lead the development of an institutional Teaching and Learning strategy that sets out the vision for the provision of academic support services for faculty that are aligned with identified strategic teaching and learning priorities.
• Someone to provide leadership and guidance in the implementation of innovative, cutting edge, research-informed teaching and learning approaches; the evaluation of teaching and learning effectiveness; and the assessment of teaching and learning practices.
• Leadership in the exploration and acquisition of learning technologies which support teaching and learning priorities and best practices in the classroom.
• Someone to support the growth and development of Continuing and Professional Studies at KPU.
• Someone to support and coordinate university wide initiatives in Academic Integrity and PLA.
• Someone to ensure that teaching and learning activities are carried out in a manner that achieves the objectives established in VISION 2023 and Academic Plan 2023.
• Someone to create a supportive learning environment in which to explore teaching practice and reflect upon a range of contemporary instructional issues.
• Someone to ensure that effective supports are in place for faculty and curriculum-related requirements that supports the University’s academic mission and priorities.
• Someone to serve as the university’s primary liaison with the B.C. Teaching and Learning Council to leverage and contribute to their activities.
• Someone to represent KPU on special initiatives or task forces as directed by the Provost. Attend and work with the Senate Teaching and Learning Committee, and act as a representative on various academic and University administration committees.
• Someone who will contribute to effective employee and labour relations by administering the collective agreement(s), representing management in the grievance process and consulting with Human Resources Services regarding collective agreement interpretation, as appropriate.
• Someone who contributes to and promotes a safe, respectful, and inclusive work environment by adhering to University policies and procedures and completing mandatory training programs.
What education & experience should you have?
• PhD or EdD in a relevant field preferred.
• A combination of University faculty and progressive leadership/administrative experience in a University setting.
• Direct supervisory experience of unionized and excluded staff is essential.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty in seconded positions.
We’re proud to boast about the benefits that we can offer you. KPU offers four weeks of vacation entitlement as well as a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, extended health benefits, an annual health care spending account, life insurance, AD&D, and a defined benefit pension plan. The incumbent will also be eligible for professional development opportunities as well.
Ready to Apply?
To indicate your interest in available positions, please click the following email link which will pre-fill information necessary to process your application: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a current resume or CV as well as photocopies of post-secondary transcripts.
To help us process your application as quickly as possible, ensure your email subject line is written using the following format: Last Name-First Name, Competition Number XXXX. For example, “Doe-John, Competition Number XXXX
Please submit a separate email and resumé for each competition to which you are applying. Ensure you have clearly marked each email and resumé with your last name, first name, and the appropriate competition number.
The University welcomes and encourages applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
For inquiries or recommendations related to this position, please contact:
Human Resources Business Partner
Human Resources Business Partner
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.