The Office of Research Services (ORS) requires advanced notification that proposals are under development for submission. It is recommended that a notification be submitted at least 1 month in advance of the granting agency deadline.
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not require one-on-one assistance/review, your proposal submissions must be received 2 weeks prior to the granting agency deadline to allow the Dean and Associate Vice President Research to review.
The Principal Investigator or Program Director (PI/PD) is responsible for writing the narrative and budget of her/his research proposal document.
- The ORS will provide advice and help as needed to prepare a suitable budget for the specific agency or sponsor.
- The ORS staff will be available to provide one-on-one assistance.
The following steps will help ensure the success of proposal submissions.
Step 1: Idea/Planning
Researcher meets with the Research Facilitator at least 1 month in advance of the granting agency deadline to:
- Ensure eligibility to hold a grant at KPU;
- Discuss the researcher’s research plan/research goal (long-range plan);
- Choose the best granting agency, program and opportunity;
- Review the specific grant criteria and instructions;
- Discuss application format guidelines (e.g. proposal, CV, attachments, ROMEO); and
- Help set out a timeline for completion.
Step 2: Draft Application Review
Researcher submits the application to the Research Facilitator at least 3 weeks in advance of the granting agency deadline for:
- Review according to funding agency’s criteria
- Review of formatting
- Review and edits for clarity and understanding
- Review budget and matching funds commitments
PLEASE NOTE: Final applications submitted 2 weeks in advance will not be guaranteed a full review, but instead will be checked for eligibility and completeness.
Step 3: Submission of the application to the Dean
Step 4: Submission of the application to the Associate Vice-President Research
Step 5: Application Submission
The ORS will electronically submit the application to the granting agency. In rare cases, when a paper submission is required, the application or contract will be couriered directly by the ORS.
Step 6: Notice of Award Received
The Research Facilitator will contact the applicant and the Dean to advise them of the outcome. If the applicant receives the Notice of Award directly, please send a copy to the Research Facilitator/ORS. This is required in order to set-up a Special Purpose Fund.
Step 7: Special Purpose Fund & Orientation Meeting
All successful research grants will be assigned a Special Purpose Fund. The ORS will send a new fund request form to the researcher. The researcher will sign the form and send it back. The ORS will then request a fund number through the Finance Department and copy/“cc” the researcher.
If the researcher is new to the system, there is an option for a one-on-one orientation meeting for necessary guidance and training.
Step 8: Knowledge Mobilization and Knowledge Transfer
The researcher will fill out a brief summary of her/his research on the ROMEO research portal’s completion report. The Research KMb Coordinator will upload the report online.