This page includes resources for while you are teaching (e.g. student engagement, fostering self-directed learners, etc.) For resources on course (re)design, see Courses & Curriculum.
Connecting with the TLCommons - subscribe to our blog
As part of a WordPress pilot we have launched a teaching and learning blog with weekly posts from the Commons team. Visit: http://wordpress.kpu.ca/tlcommons/. If you would like to share a teaching tool, strategy or insight please connect with Leeann.firstname.lastname@example.org
Thinking about creating interactive online learning content?
We have a new tool for you: H5P. This newly integrated tool makes it much easier for you to create, share and reuse interactive content. In addition to face-to-face workshops, we have designed a H5P course site in Moodle so that you can learn the basics of how to create interactive content at your own pace. Simply log into Moodle and self-enroll into the course from anywhere!
If you have questions or need further assistance, please dont hesitate to reach out and contact us at email@example.com
- Academic Impressions - KPU has access to the "Academic Affairs" and "Enrollment Management" categories. It offers a variety of resources in live webcasts, digital recordings and short articles. Create a login using your KPU email address (Thanks to HR).
- The Teaching Professor Newsletter - offers useful information and inspiration to help faculty members in all disciplines teach more effectively. Login with KPU account (Thanks to the Library).
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC) - KPU is an institutional member of the Online Learning Consortium. OLC is a collaborative community of higher education leaders and innovators, dedicated to advancing quality digital teaching and learning experiences designed to reach and engage the modern learner – anyone, anywhere, anytime. Click on the logo to create an account using your KPU emaill address.
Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (CJSoTL)
The Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education publishes a trans-disciplinary, peer-reviewed publication that seeks to advance the scholarship of teaching and learning in Canadian post-secondary institutions.
Selections from Vol. 9 Issue 2:
• Audio Feedback: Student and Teaching Assistant Perspectives on an Alternative Mode of Feedback for Written Assignments
• Turnitin(r) Use at a Canadian University
• Textbook Affordability and Student Acceptance of eTextbooks: An Institutional Case-study
• Performance, Preference, and Perception in Experiential Learning Assessment
• Using Appreciative Inquiry to Understand the Role of Teaching Practices in Student Well-being at a Research-Intensive University
• Book Review: Overcoming Student Learning Bottlenecks: Decode the Critical Thinking of Your Discipline
Access articles at cjsotl-rcacea.ca
Guides & Comprehensive Lists of Teaching Tips
- University of Waterloo has over 100 succinct documents providing useful tips on educational technologies, planning courses and assignments, assessing students, creating a positive learning environment, lecturing and presenting, learning activities, professional development, and tips for students. Includes a search feature.
- Teaching Tips by the Learning & Teaching Office (LTO, Ryerson University), ranging from general classroom strategies, teaching techniques, supporting your students, assessment and evaluation, technology enhanced classroom, and professional development.
- University of Calgary has developed a Guide to Providing Evidence of Teaching to help identify and record various elements of teaching and learning practices.
Working with English as an Additional Language (EAL) learners?
(Note: they are not all "International Students")
- Learn more about supporting EAL learners, who they are, the challenges they face, and preventing problems before they arise (also see Universal Design for Learning above). Credit: The Learning & Teaching Office, Ryerson University.
- An assessment series is under development. Currently available is an Assessment Community of Practice and seminars/workshops under development.
- Previous T&L website pages.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is a proud member of the International Council for Open and Distance Education, International Center for Academic Integrity, Open Education Global, and the Online Learning Consortium.