Skip to main content

University Qualifying Studies


University Qualifying Studies provides an opportunity for study to those students who want to pursue upgrading or preparatory studies prior to, or while beginning, their undergraduate or vocational program.

Admission Requirements

All applicants who do not have the appropriate High School prerequisite, or those referred by instructors, must take assessments in English and mathematics to ensure appropriate placement in the courses. Assessments are booked through Student Enrolment Services (

Curricular Requirements

Requirements are dependent on the program of study the student is pursuing.

For course descriptions, see:

Credential Awarded

These courses may be used to prepare for many KPU programs.

Some Qualifying Studies courses are provincially articulated through the Adult Upgrading articulation system; some Qualifying Studies courses may be transferable. Please consult with an Academic Advisor for the Faculty of Academic & Career Advancement.

At a Glance

Faculty of Academic and Career Advancement

Program Type:

  • University Preparatory

Credential Granted:

  • No Credential

Offered At:

  • KPU Langley  Langley
  • KPU Richmond  Richmond
  • KPU Surrey  Surrey
  • Online  Online

Start Date(s):

  • Fall Intake (September)  September
  • Spring Intake (January)  January
  • Summer Intake (May)  May

Intake Type:

  • Open Intake  Open intake


  • Full-time  Full-time
  • Part-time  Part-time

Instructional Cycle:

  • Semester-based

Curriculum Effective Date:

  • 01-Sep-2013

Applying to KPU:

Last Updated: 28-Jun-2017

This online version of the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Calendar is the official version of the University Calendar. Although every effort is made to ensure accuracy at the time of publication, KPU reserves the right to make any corrections in the contents and provisions of this calendar without notice. In addition, the University reserves the right to cancel, add, or revise contents or change fees at any time without notice. To report errors or omissions, or send comments or suggestions, please email