Integrity and honesty have always been central to the way we operate as a university every day. I believe that every member of our university has a role to play in maintaining these values and protecting our organization’s reputation. Together, we make KPU a great place to work, to teach and to learn. Our values must be woven into our daily actions and supported with the right tools and processes.
To help us further these values, we are launching KPU Listens, a confidential reporting program that allows members of the KPU community to anonymously and confidentially report what they perceive to as cases of workplace misconduct. KPU Listens is a key component of the university’s Protected Disclosure Policy and is supported by ClearView Connects™, a Canadian-based reporting solution provided by an independent, third-party supplier. You can safely and anonymously submit reports or questions through ClearView’s secure website, toll-free telephone service or post office box. ClearView Connects™ is easy to use and available 24/7. To make a report, you can use whichever reporting option is most comfortable for you:
- Go to www.clearviewconnects.com
- Call 1-844-814-6493 and speak to a ClearView operator or leave a voice message containing your report
- Mail your information to:
P.O. Box 11017
Please contact email@example.com should you have questions or comments about KPU Listens.
|KPU Richmond||January 28||2:30 - 3:30||Boardroom 1420|
|KPU Langley||January 27||12:30 - 1:30||Langley 1852|
|KPU Tech||January 27||10:30 - 11:30||Cloverdale 2210|
|KPU Surrey||February 2||11:30 - 12:30||Cedar Boardroom|
KPU Listens Frequently Asked Questions
KPU Listens via Clearview Connects is a mechanism to be used to enable KPU to meet the requirements of its Protected Disclosure Policy.
As such, KPU Listens via Clearview Connects is not meant to supersede or circumvent other KPU policies and procedures, any legislative requirements or our collective agreements.
Examples of disclosures that could/might fall under KPU’s Protected Disclosure Policy include:
- Theft, Embezzlement, Fraud
- Unethical Conduct and Conflict of Interest
- Manipulation or Falsification of Data
- Violation of Laws and Regulations
Such disclosures pertain to behavior that might negatively impact on the university as a whole.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University adopted its Protected Disclosure Policy in November 2014.
Included in that policy are the following purpose statements:
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University seeks to promote a culture of honesty, transparency and accountability, maintaining high ethical standards in all of its activities. All members of the University community are expected to conduct the activities of the University honestly, free from any conflict of interest or commitment, and to be accountable for their actions.
- So that the University can take prompt corrective action, members of the University community are encouraged to disclose any conduct they observe or encounter in the context of University activities that they reasonably believe to be dishonest, unethical, irregular, or appear to involve conflict of interest or commitment, abuse of public trust, or that are potentially unlawful, dangerous to any person, or injurious to KPU’s interests.
- Good-faith disclosure of such conduct is a valuable service to the University community, consistent with members’ duty of loyalty to the University, and must not be cause for reprisal of any kind against the person making the disclosure. Members of the KPU community can expect that such disclosures will be treated with due confidentiality and protection of the individuals involved.
- Members of the University community are encouraged to continue to use existing channels to disclose suspected wrongdoing or irregularity and resort to the special provisions of this policy only if such existing channels prove ineffective or are inappropriate in the circumstances. An employee who is unsure what channel is appropriate in a particular instance may seek advice from any senior University official. Whatever channel is used for disclosure, the processes for impartial investigation and reporting outlined in this policy will apply.
The statement of policy principles includes this paragraph:
- Employees, students and other persons connected to KPU are encouraged to make a good-faith disclosure to the appropriate supervisor or any University official. If the alleged wrongdoing or irregularity should involve the next level supervisor, the disclosure may be made to a vice-president or to the Office of the President. Should the alleged wrongdoing or irregularity involve the President or vice-presidents, the disclosure may be made to the Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of Governors. Disclosures may also be made to the confidential external service retained by KPU to receive such disclosures.
KPU Listens specifically addresses the bolded sentence above.
Why is KPU making the ClearView Connects™ ethics reporting system available to its employees?
KPU is committed to providing its employees with an ethical work environment and to operating with honesty and integrity. KPU holds all employees to a high standard of behaviour, as outlined in the University’s Code of Conduct.
As outlined in KPU’s Protected Disclosure Policy, members of the university community are encouraged to continue to use existing channels to disclose suspected wrongdoing or irregularity and if you are aware of perceived wrongdoing at KPU, you have a responsibility to report it as outlined in the policy.
We understand that there may be situations where you may not be able to speak up directly. In those circumstances, ClearView Connects™ offers you the additional security of being able to report perceived wrongdoing or unethical behaviour anonymously, confidentially and securely. By making ClearView Connects™ available to its employees, KPU is ensuring that you are able to speak up with confidence.
What role does ClearView play?
ClearView Connects™ is an ethics reporting solution, provided by ClearView Strategic Partners Inc., a third party organization. ClearView Connects™ offers a confidential, secure and anonymous channel for you to report unethical workplace behaviour to qualified personnel at KPU. ClearView does not review reports submitted into the ClearView Connects™ system – this is the responsibility of authorized individuals at KPU who ensure that reports are addressed and resolved in a fair and timely manner. ClearView is committed to the highest standards of data security and privacy protection.
Do I have a right to know who complained about me?
Disclosures dealing with harassment, bullying and discrimination are violations of KPU’s HR21 - Respectful Workplace Policy / Procedures. Under this policy, anonymous disclosures are not investigated. Such a disclosure made through ClearView would lead to the discloser being informed of KPU policy and that in order to proceed with the investigation, anonymity cannot be protected.
KPU Listens is not intended to deal with interpersonal dispute reconciliations.
Should I report something I suspect may be wrong?
You should report your concerns if you have reasonable grounds for your suspicion and you raise it in good faith. Reporting in good faith means you honestly believe something is improper and allowing it to continue could harm KPU. KPU expects that all disclosures will be made in good faith – that they will be based on the discloser’s best understanding of the situation.
If you are reporting a rumour you have heard about some possible improper activity in the workplace, please indicate that this is a rumour, and that you are not sure if it is true.
When is it appropriate to report something anonymously?
KPU’s Protected Disclosure Policy includes provisions for “good faith disclosure,” which is deemed to be “a valuable service to the University community, consistent with members’ duty of loyalty to the University, and must not be cause for reprisal of any kind against the person making the disclosure. Members of the KPU community can expect that such disclosures will be treated with due confidentiality and protection of the individuals involved.”
Further, the policy states: “Members of the University community are encouraged to continue to use existing channels to disclose suspected wrongdoing or irregularity and to resort to the special provisions of this policy only if such existing channels prove ineffective or are inappropriate in the circumstances. These special provisions include anonymous reporting through KPU Listens. An employee who is unsure what channel is appropriate in a particular instance may seek advice from any senior University official. Whatever channel is used for disclosure, the processes for impartial investigation and reporting outlined in this policy will apply.”
The policy also states: “Any person who knowingly makes an allegation of wrongdoing or irregularity which is false, frivolous, vexatious, or malicious will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination as appropriate.
How do I report through ClearView Connects™?
You can report in three ways:
- Online – go to www.clearviewconnects.com and follow the step-by-step instructions.
- Telephone service – Call 1-844-814-6493. You will be able to speak to an operator or leave a voice message containing your report.
- Mail – Send a confidential hard copy report to ClearView Connects™, P.O. Box 11017, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M1E 1N0.
When you have submitted a report via either the web-based system or telephone operator, you will be given a login ID and password so you can log in later to check the status of your report. Be sure to keep your login ID and password in a safe place so that you can access the report again. ClearView and KPU do not know your login ID and password, and will be unable to retrieve them for you if you forget or lose them.
Note that login IDs and passwords cannot be provided to you when submitting your report using the telephone voicemail option, or hard copy mail reporting options. So if you would prefer the opportunity to follow up on the status of your report (which we encourage you to do), please submit your report using the online or telephone operator reporting options.
How does ClearView Connects™ work?
ClearView Connects™ is an ethics reporting solution that is provided by ClearView Strategic Partners Inc., an independent, third-party organization. ClearView Connects™ offers a confidential, secure and anonymous channel for you to report unethical workplace behaviour to qualified personnel.
ClearView Connects™ works by collecting your report and providing it to individuals within KPU who are best positioned and qualified to address, manage and resolve it. Reviewers are automatically notified by the system when a report has been submitted. They can log in to view the report and may ask follow-up questions and inform you about how the report is being addressed. You will be given a system-generated login ID and password that will allow you to log back into the system and communicate with the Reviewer or update the report.
Some features of the system include:
- The ability to maintain your anonymity, by simply refraining from including identifiable information with your report
- The ability to upload documents and files to your report
- The ability to report in multiple languages
- Security elements that include robust encryption and Canadian-based servers
What happens to the report after I submit it?
After you have submitted a report, the ClearView Connects™ system will immediately notify the authorized Reviewer designated by KPU that a report has been submitted. The Reviewer is responsible for ensuring that your report will be addressed, investigated and managed.
KPU has contracted with two professionals outside the university to be the initial Reviewers of all complaints received. Once the initial information has been obtained, these Reviewers will refer complaints to the appropriate senior KPU administrator, who will conduct the review.
It’s important that you check the status of your report (and you can do so by calling the telephone service or logging into the web-based system with your system-generated login ID and password). This is recommended because often Reviewers have additional questions or comments. Your identity remains protected all along the way — unless you choose to reveal it by including identifying information in your report.
How do I check the status of the report that I submitted?
When you use the web-based system or speak with a telephone operator, the ClearView Connects™ system assigns you a secure login ID and password for the report that you submitted. You can log into ClearView Connects™ or call the telephone service and use your login ID and password to check the status of your report. You don’t have to continue to use the reporting method you originally chose; you can check the status of the report using either method.
Since the login ID and password are system-generated, your anonymity is maintained. Unless you give your login and password to someone else (which we encourage you NOT to do), only you and the Reviewers authorized by KPU can see the report in the secure ClearView Connects™ system.
What if I forget or lose my password?
If you forget or lose your password, you may submit a new report explaining that you have already submitted an earlier report and briefly describe the facts from your original report, and if possible, the date your first report was submitted. Make sure to keep your new login ID and password so that you can access the new report file in the future.
How does ClearView protect my identity?
ClearView operates independently from KPU, and the ClearView system resides on ClearView’s own, highly secure servers. The ClearView Connects™ encryption and security technology is the best available. In addition, you can help ClearView protect your identity. When making a report, take care not to provide any personal information about yourself that may identify you to others, if you don’t want to be identified. Here is how ClearView Connects™ protects your anonymity:
- If you use ClearView Connects™ online: The session is encrypted and your IP address is not identified with your report.
- If you call the telephone service and speak to a live operator: The call is not recorded, nor is caller ID used. The report is transcribed by a trained operator into the ClearView system verbatim (in your exact words, word for word).
- If you call the telephone service and leave a voicemail: The recording is transcribed by trained ClearView personnel into the system verbatim and then erased. As well, caller ID is not used.
- If you send a report by mail: Handwritten letters will be transcribed and typewritten reports will be scanned and uploaded into the ClearView system, and the original hardcopy will be destroyed. Only authorized ClearView personnel can access the Post Office mail box.
- In all cases, the report data stays on ClearView’s secure servers.
What protection do I have if I disclose my identity?
If you do provide identifying information in your report, KPU’s Reviewers will have access to it. Furthermore, ClearView may be compelled by law to disclose it to legal or regulatory authorities. When you complete a report, be careful not to include any personal details that could identify you, unless you want to be identified.
KPU’s Protected Disclosure Policy includes provisions about good-faith disclosure and notes that it is consistent with a duty of loyalty to the University and “must not be cause for reprisal of any kind against the person making the disclosure. Members of the KPU community can expect that such disclosures will be treated with due confidentiality and protection of the individuals involved.”
Will KPU know that I have contacted the ClearView Connects™ website?
KPU does not monitor employee access to external websites.
However, if you are concerned about this possibility, you can choose to report from a computer outside the workplace, such as your home computer, at a library, or an Internet café, or use the telephone service or mail box options. Your session with the ClearView Connects™ server is secured using encryption technology that gives you the best possible protection.
KPU is, above all, interested in fostering an ethical workplace. This means giving employees a safe and secure way to raise issues and providing resources to resolve issues. By engaging ClearView, KPU has made a serious commitment to provide anonymous reporting because KPU recognizes that the information employees can provide may be extremely important in protecting the organization’s reputation and financial well-being, its employees, faculty, students, and its stakeholders. Protecting the identity of employees who come forward is a critical part of this process.
Additional questions and answers are included in the ‘Help’ function of ClearView Connects™.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have questions or comments about KPU Listens.