Study the science, art and business of brewing at KPU — BC’s only brewing diploma program — where you’ll receive hands-on training in our state-of-the-art teaching brewery.
KPU’s two-year Brewing and Brewery Operations Diploma was created to meet the unprecedented demand for knowledgeable, trained brewers with an education in brewing science in the rapidly growing craft beer industry.
Our curriculum — developed in consultation with the BC Craft Brewers Guild, local breweries and industry experts — teaches students critical skills and provides training with brewing equipment and technologies, recipe formulation, sensory evaluation, brewing chemistry and microbiology, production and packaging, sales and promotion, and management and supervisory skills. Upon graduating, students will earn their university diploma and credits.
For more details about the KPU Brewing & Brewery Operations Diploma courses, click here. For more information about applying to the Brewing program, visit kpu.ca/brew/apply. To find out about upcoming information sessions, open houses or brewery tours, visit kpu.ca/brew/news-events or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What makes KPU's Brewing Diploma unique?
- The only brewing diploma program available in BC
- First Canadian institution recognized by the Master Brewers Association for a high standard of brewing education
- Custom-built teaching brewery on campus
- State-of-the-art brewing and lab equipment
- Small class sizes with a maximum of 35 students per class
- Experienced instructors with decades of brewing and beer industry experience
- Industry partnerships with local breweries and national associations
- BC is a major hub for the craft brewing industry in Canada
“This program opened my eyes to how technical brewing is. I wouldn't be where I am today at Ravens Brewing if I hadn't gotten my Brewing diploma at KPU. It's getting more competitive as the whole craft beer industry continues to grow, and having a formal brewing education is a huge advantage."
Dan Marriette, Brewer
In addition to the Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, the following program admission requirements apply:
- Portfolio Review (see below)
- A minimum of 19 years of age by the first day of classes
- Chemistry 11 with a minimum grade of C+ (or equivalent); and
- Level E1 as defined in the Mathematics Alternatives Table
- Recommendation by the Admissions Selection Committee
Note: Students with strong science or related post-secondary backgrounds are better equipped to handle the academic aspects of this program. Applicants without a strong background in the sciences (mathematics and/or chemistry) are advised to upgrade prior to applying.
Applicants will be provided portfolio requirements and instructions for submission upon receipt of an application. For more information about the portfolio requirements, you can also visit our How to Apply page at kpu.ca/brew/apply.
Selection of qualified applicants for admission will be made by an Admissions Selection Committee composed of faculty, staff, and external members. When the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of available spaces, selection will be based on a combination of the highest cumulative admission percentages or cumulative GPAs based on the admission requirements stated above AND the portfolio.