- An emphasis on contemporary studio arts in two-dimensional (drawing, painting, print media, photography, digital media), three-dimensional (sculpture, ceramics, installation), and performance art.
- A thorough grounding in modern and contemporary art history and critical theory that helps students explore issues in their own work and that of others.
- A commitment to a student-centered teaching environment, small class sizes, and easy access to qualified faculty working and contributing in their field of practice and research.
- An emphasis on interdisciplinary work, and access to studio space for 4th year students.
- The preparation of students for entry into the cultural industries and creative economies sector of the labour market through incorporation of essential skills training into the curriculum, including cross-disciplinary applications of studio, art history and theory, and practice.
- Focus on theoretical, methodological, and applied understanding and skills required for employment and/or further studies in postgraduate education programs.
- A solid liberal arts background that will prepare students to be creative and critical thinkers.
Annual Student Awards:
To recognize student achievement we have five Student Awards:
- Deena C. Duggan Award
- American Express Fine Arts Award
- Jason Singh Memorial Award
- Margaretha Bootsma Award for Excellence in Visual Art
- Linda Schwartz Endowment Award
- Margaretha Bootsma Entrance Scholarship Award! Deadline April 11/17 - Margaretha Bootsma Entrance Scholarship-Submission Requirements.pdf
Surrey Campus student studios and exhibition spaces: Two drawing and painting studios, a sculpture and 3D studies studio (including wood shop, casting shop, metal shop), a ceramic studio, a photo studio, darkroom, two mac computer labs, a print media studio, 4th Year Studios, The Fine Arts Gallery, and the Artbutus Gallery at the Coast Capital Library.
An Active Student Community:
Fine Arts students have the opportunity to join the Fine Arts Student Group. This student led group actively organizes exhibitions of work in all media in the university and out in the community. Fine Arts students also actively showcase their artwork, and contribute their writing to Pulp Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s student literary and arts magazine pulpmag.ca. Our student group from 2010 to 2013 "The Surreyalists" enjoyed success with exhibitions at Access Gallery in Vancouver, The Newton Cultural Centre in Surrey, and at other venues in Richmond and Surrey. After graduating, they have continued their activities as an independent art group in Surrey with membership from across the Lower Mainland.
Students planning to transfer to a different university after their first or second year should check transfer requirements before choosing their electives. See the appropriate university calendar for details. For further information contact a Fine Art faculty advisor. Students are encouraged to take both terms of any given discipline (i.e. both Drawing I and II) to facilitate effective university transfer status.
Full Time Studies and Course Options:
For more detailed information and course sequences for Full Time Studies see the KPU Calendar.
Paris/Documenta Field School (May/June 2017)
Visit Paris, France and study its dynamic urban visual environment in connection to the modernist sensibility of the flaneur and the Impressionists while learning about the city through the lens of art history and contemporary studio practices. Then travel to Kassel, Germany to experience DOCUMENTA—the world’s most prestigious contemporary art exhibition, held once every 5 years as a showcase of the best of global contemporary art. This is truly a trip of a lifetime—come join us! Full itinerary of visits to Paris museums, galleries, and key sites of interest related to modern and contemporary art, photography, and film history, including but not limited to:
Orsay, Louvre, Pompidou, L’Orangerie, Palais de Tokyo, and cinema/photography museums, along with visits to Versailles, Monet’s Garden at Giverny, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Opera House, and several Parisian art districts. Comprehensive tour of Documenta 14 with all access multiple-day pass and tour of Kassel’s cultural attractions.
Complete details at KPU website: http://www.kpu.ca/exchange/field-schools/paris