News and Resources on Open Initiatives at KPU
Open Education Resources (OER) Grants! The program provides funding and staff support to KPU faculty members interested in open pedagogy and adaptation of existing OERs. Congratulations to our Grant Recipients.
Resources from OPEN ACCESS WEEK 2016 workshops
- The Good, the Bad and the Open: An Open Pedagogy Workshop with Jennifer Kirkey & Arthur Gill Green (Link to blog post and slides: http://greengeographer.com/openpedagogyworkshopkpu/)
- OER Integration into Course Websites for Trades with Rod Lidstone (LInk to slides: http://bit.ly/OERinLMS)
KPU library’s subject guides on Open Educational Resources and where to find them:
KPU Open Studies: is a group of KPU instructors, administrators, learning specialists and librarians that stay informed about trends in open education and encourage the use of open practices in teaching and research.
What is Open Pedagogy? A definition with examples.
Open Textbooks: Locate, Assess, Adapt, Adopt, Create
- Find Open Textbooks: http://libguides.kpu.ca/opentextbooks/find
- Find Ancillary Resources: http://libguides.kpu.ca/opentextbooks/ancillary
- Assess for Quality: http://libguides.kpu.ca/opentextbooks/assess
- Adopt an Open Textbook: http://libguides.kpu.ca/opentextbooks/adopt
- Adapt an Open Textbook: http://libguides.kpu.ca/opentextbooks/adapt
- Write an Open Textbook: http://libguides.kpu.ca/opentextbooks/write
A How-to Guide on Adaptation and Adoption - September 23, 2014
Rajiv Jhangiani (KPU), and Mary Burgess and Amanda Coolidge (BCcampus) provided an overview of the BCcampus Opentextbook project and how faculty across BC are creating, reviewing, adapting, and adopting opentextbooks.
Open Educational Resource universitas: Collaboration and Transformation - June 20, 2014
Irwin DeVries, Director of Curriculum Development, Open Learning Division, Thompson Rivers University provided an overview of the OERu's philosophy and logic model and shared his team's lessons in creating a fully open Art appreciation course.
Open Textbook Roundtable - May 29, 2014
A group of interested faculty and staff met to share stories of how they are using or planning to use open educational resources. Our notes and resources are available on our wiki: http://bit.ly/1vKDBpn
Open Textbook Summit - April 16 - 17, 2014
Diane Salter presented with Kate Cotie, Director, Strategic Policy and Initiatives, Ministry of Advanced Education
For more information, please visit the Open Textbook Summit Website
KPU faculty member, Dr. Takashi Sato, is an open textbook pioneer, saving students thousands in textbook costs. He is also featured in the BCcampus video below (read more)
BCcampus Open Textbook Toolkit - Your starting point for changing education with just one textbook