What is a cover letter?
- Self-marketing business letter used with your resume to get an interview
- Introduces you to the employer and provides them with detailed information on why you are applying
- Outlines how your education, skills, experience, accomplishments, & knowledge will benefit them
- Requests an opportunity to meet personally with the employer
What do I include in my cover letter?
Include the following type of information in your sentences:
- Your interest in the company – the why, how, where you heard about the position
- How you will fill/match the company’s needs
- How you would like to discuss the role and your skills further in a meeting
Quantify your statements
Rephrase your key accomplishment statements from your resume
- How long did you do it?
- How much responsibility did you have?
- What techniques did you use and why were they useful?
How do I organize my cover letter?
It is up to you how you want to arrange your cover letter paragraphs. Below are some suggestions to help you organize them effectively:
1. First Paragraph: Introduction
Introduce and reference the position you are applying for, what you know about the position, your enthusiasm, and your unique selling points
2. Second Paragraph: Hard skills
Match your hard skills with those specified in the job description; provide examples
3. Third Paragraph: Soft skills
Match your soft skills with those specified in the job description; provide examples
4. Last Paragraph: Conclusion
Thank the employer for their time and ask for an interview
For more information, log into Career Connection to download Cover Letter Basics
More on the topic! Log into Career Connection to read about a recruiter's experience with cover letters in 'Cover Letters: Do I Need One?' AND learn how to show soft skills on a cover letter in How to 'Prove' Soft Skills: Proving Soft Skills in a Cover letter, Resume and Interview
The Career Development Centre offers students FREE resume and cover letter building workshops and reviews. Go to https://www.kpu.ca/careers/resume-review to upload your documents or book a one-on-one appointment through Advisor Connect. You can sign up for workshops through Career Connection.