What is a cover letter?
- Self-marketing business letter used with your resume to get yourself an interview
- Introduces you to the employer and provides them with detailed information on why you are applying
- Outlines how your education, skills, experience, accomplishments, & knowledge will benefit them
- Requests an opportunity to meet personally with the employer
What do I include in my cover letter
Include the following type of information in your sentences:
- Your interest in the company – the why, how, where you heard about the position
- How you will fill/match the company’s needs
- How you will contact the company in the near future
Quantify your statements
rephraser your key accomplishment statements from your resume
- How long did you do it?
- How much responsibility did you have?
- What techniques did you use and why were they useful?
How do I organize my cover letter?
It is up to you how you want to arrange your cover letter paragraphs. However, below are some suggestions to help you organize them effectively:
1. First Paragraph: Introduction
Introduce and reference the position you are applying for, what you know about the position, your enthusiasm, and your unique selling position
2. Second Paragraph: Hard skills
Match your hard skills with those specified in the job description
3. Third Paragraph: Soft skills
Match your soft skills with those specified in the job description
4. Last Paragraph: Conclusion
Thank the employer for their time and ask for an interview or let them know you will contact them
Download this guide here: How to Write Your Cover Letter.pdf.