Where thought meets action
- KPU is Canada's only polytechnic university. We focus on hands-on skills, in addition to traditional academics.
- Your education will go beyond books, with experiential learning opportunities like group projects, presentations, guest speakers, and more
- Many of our programs include work experience terms, practicums, or cooperative education options
- International learning opportunities all over the world through field schools, exchanges, study abroad opportunities, and more
- We work closely with industry partners and organizations to ensure our graduates are well prepared to enter the workforce
- KPU was formed in 1981, after separating from Douglas College. The university then took over the campus south of the Fraser River, where KPU continues to be present today.
- In 1995, the institution became a degree-granting university college, and in 2008 became a polytechnic university
- More than 20,000 students annually (over 12,000 full-time equivalency students)
- 60,000+ registered alumni around the world
- Over 200,000 students educated at KPU to date
Study your way
- Over 140 diverse degree, diploma, certificate, and citation programs
- Foundation and in-school apprenticeship training
- KPU offers many unique programs that can't be found at other post-secondary institutions
- Fashion and technology and product design degrees are unique to Western Canada
- The only brewing diploma of its kind in BC and the first brewing program in Canada to be recognized by the Master Brewers Association
- Our interior design degree was the first in the province to receive accreditation
- KPU is the first public post-secondary school to offer studies in traditional Chinese medicine-acupuncture
- Our Bachelor of Horticulture Science in Urban Ecosystems is the only undergraduate degree in North America dedicated to the study of urban ecosystems
- Tuition-free English language studies and upgrading courses
- New minors in medicinal chemistry and Indigenous community justice
- Flexible scheduling allows you to take courses full-time or part-time with classes in the morning, afternoon, or evening. Some online courses are also available.
- Work and volunteer opportunities on-campus
- Our classes have a maximum of 35 students.
- Student-centered learning environment that brings together students, instructors, guest lecturers, and industry experts
- Our faculty have extensive real-world experience in their field, and a passion for teaching
- Over 1,400 faculty and staff members
- 70+ researchers working on active sponsored research projects
Student support services
- We offer more than 30 student services to help you succeed
- School can be expensive, but we're here to help. We provide almost $2 million in scholarships and awards, and over $250,000 annually is available for students starting at KPU for the first time. Bursaries and other financial aid are also available.
- Advising to help you succeed throughout your educational journey — course planning, major/minor selection, career options, and more!
- Supports and resources for Aboriginal students, including KPU's Elder in Residence, Lekeyten, from the Kwantlen First Nation
- We have a Learning Centre on each campus offering tutoring services, study resources, and workshops
- Free intercampus shuttle that travels between Surrey, Langley, and Cloverdale
- Range of student clubs and organizations, or, start your own!
- High-tech labs, studios, classrooms, and facilities
- Five campuses across Metro Vancouver, including Richmond, Langley, Cloverdale, Surrey, and Civic Plaza.
- New Wilson School of Design building opened at KPU Richmond in early 2018
- Fitness centres and workout spaces on each campus with a variety of sport and recreational activities for all students including fitness classes, personal training, and intramural leagues
- Multi-Faith Centre and Sacred Spaces at KPU Surrey and KPU Richmond
The skills you need for the career you want
- Earn while you learn and build professional networks with co-op education options in several arts, business, and science and horticulture programs
- Hands-on practicums are built-in to many programs to provide professional work experience alongside your in-class education
- Study abroad and field school opportunities prepare you for a global marketplace
- Career Services offers coaching and job-finding resources for graduates, and can also help you find part-time work and summer employment