What is a Reference List?
- A tool used by recruiters or interviewers to validate their overall impression of the interviewee/job candidate.
- A list consisting of 3-5 professionals that can validate your job title, work ethic, length of service, demeanor, work-based performance, work-based responsibilities or skills.
- Typically, consists of individuals that have evaluated your performance and that you have known for more than 3 months, these can include previous managers, coaches, professors and/or instructors.
- Must exclude family, friends, co-workers, or members of a school-based club/activity.
- Must contact these individuals beforehand and receive permission before including them on your references list.
- Generally, individuals will bring this document with them to an interview and if requested it’s handed to the recruiter or interviewer.
What to include:
- Name of your reference
- Job title/position
- Name of organization
- Work-based or professional relationship
- Address (optional)
- Contact information