What is a Thank Your Letter?
- A letter that is written or emailed to employers within 2-24 hours of the initial interview
- Final opportunity to leave a positive impression by reiterating that you’re interested in the company or position
- Provides an opportunity for interviewees to restate interests while addressing potential concerns that an employer may have from your interview
- Should briefly remind them of relevant education, skills, experience, interests, accomplishments, and/or abilities
What goes on my Thank You Letter?
Headings can include but are not limited to:
- Your contact information (Tip: Consider using the same header as your resume and cover letter to show consistency)
- The name(s) and/or title(s) of the interviewer(s)
How do I organize my Thank You Letter?
It is up to you how you want to arrange your cover letter paragraphs. Listed below are some suggestions to help you organize them effectively:
1. Paragraph 1: Introduction
Thank the employer for taking time to interview you. Be sincere with regards to your interests in working for the organization. Reiterate when you met with the interviewer (time and date) and the purpose (name/title of the position according to the job posting).
2. Paragraph 2: Experience
Use space to mention anything memorable from your interview that will help remind employers who you are and the conversation or discussion(s) that you had. Describe how your skills are related to the requirements as noted in the job posting. Remind them (briefly) of work experience, academic or any other related qualifications that are required by the job posting. Also, use this opportunity to mention any vital information that you may not have been able to convey during the initial interview. It can also be used as an opportunity to provide materials that you were unable to bring with you to the interview, such as your references.
3. Paragraph 3: Gratitude
Thank the employer for their time and for giving you an interview or remind them how they can contact you.
For more information, log into Career Connection to download the Thank You Letters Handout
More on the topic! Read this article on the importance of sending a thank you note - Thank You Notes: Another Great Way to Stand out in a Job Search
The Career Development Centre offers students FREE one-on-one appointments with a Career Coach. Book your appointment today through Advisor Connect.