Module 1 | Nov. 22, 24 & 25, 2023 | We/Fr/Sa (New dates)
Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s School of Horticulture will be offering the Professional Pest Management Module 1 online* or in person Nov. 22, 24 and 25, 2023. This course is designed to provide up-to-date training in the technical aspects of pest management, quality assurance, and customer care to upgrade your professional industry development or for anyone interested in learning more about pest management.
Taught by Dr. Cameron Lait, a respected entomologist and instructor at KPU's School of Horticulture, this three day-day course (18 hours in total) can be taken fully online, in person OR as a combination* of online and in person on KPU's Langley campus. The course is also recognized by the Structural Pest Management Association of BC (SPMABC) and the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects (BCSLA) for continuing education/CE credits (see details below).
Who will benefit from this course?
- Professional Pest Managers
- Pest Control Technicians
- Public Building Managers
- Landscape Managers or Architects
- Environmental Advocates
- Regulatory Personnel
Flexible Training Format:
Module 1 will be offered fully online, fully in person OR as a combination of online and in-person classes, where students can choose the flexible learning format that works best for them. Students attending online classes will need access to a computer with a microphone and web cam, as well as high speed internet. Students are encouraged to review lecture slides prior to each class and be prepared to discuss any questions you may have. There will be a brief quiz at the beginning of each class to review material from the previous day.
Module 1 Content:
- Basic insect biology
- Survey of important structural pest orders and families
- Pest behaviour
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) philosophy and practices
- Basic pesticide chemistry, safety and regulations
- Professionalism and safety protocols at the worksite
- Identify key morphological features of arthropods
- Describe key features of basic insect biology
- Explain integrated pest management principles
- Relate insect behavior to structural pest management practices
- Manipulate live or preserved specimens without damage
- Identify arthropods from live or preserved specimens to Order or Family using a range of resources and keys
- Summarize the hazards associated with the use of chemical pesticides
Participants who successfully complete PPM Module 1 will:
- Receive a certificate of completion from KPU; and
- Can apply for 5 credits towards their pest applicator license recertification through the Structural Pest Management Association of BC (SPMABC) or up to 6 CE credits for members of the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects (BCSLA).
Tuition cost: $375 (plus GST) Do you qualify to take this course for free? Contact our CPS office email@example.com to review your eligibility for funding.
Instructor: Cameron Lait, PhD
NEW DATES: Nov. 22, 24 & 25, 2023 (We, Fr, Sa) | 9:00 am-3:30 pm
Location: Online* or KPU Langley campus
*For online students, classes will be streamed online. Recordings and session slides will be available on the course Moodle site for students to review after each class.
EMPLOYERS: If you'd like to sponsor/pay for an employee/s who is not covered by the Future Skills Grant, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an Employer Sponsorship Form and details.