What is the Head Start program?
Many students have questions about what they need to do to prepare for a successful first-year experience and how to access resources available to them prior to registration. The Head Start program will provide access to a dedicated academic advisor who will be available to support you through your first year of studies. Your advisor can recommend and connect you to student services that meet your needs and ensure that you are prepared for your first year at KPU. You can also talk to your advisor about exploring different programs and creating a plan that will help you to choose an educational path based on your unique strengths, interests, and career curiosities.
Academic advisors partner with students to help them reach their educational and career goals. Advising is a collaboration between a student and an advisor, where advisors can discuss and offer options to students. Ultimately, students make a supported choice about actions or directions they want to pursue.
Benefits of the Program:
- Access to more personalized assistance, so that guidance, courses, and resources are specific to you
- A resource for questions about timelines and deadlines
- Assistance with choosing a course load that considers your lifestyles, strengths, and interests
- Information about how to navigate university policies, processes, and how to graduate in a timely manner
What is the format?
Your advisor will book 3-4 appointments with you prior to registration in your first semester and be in regular contact with you through your first year. Currently all advising appointments are being hosted online through MS Teams
Who can register?
Students who have applied and are planning to attend the 2024 Fall semester open access undergraduate studies are welcome to apply. Limited spots are available. All applicants must complete an interview before they are accepted to Head Start.
Must complete the Head Start application form here:
- Have a KPU student number
- Applying for open-access studies
- Meet KPU admission requirements
- Complete an online interview with Central Advising. Applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview upon submission of the applicant form
- Must complete the Head Start application form above
Applications for Fall 2024 are now open and will stay open until May 15 or when spaces are filled.
Questions? Need more information? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What Head Start students say:
"I had more confidence in my upcoming courses."
"I felt like I had better knowledge of what the process would be like. I was way more prepared."
"I was introduced to different courses based on my goals and interests."