Awarded to a student who has demonstrated an outstanding contribution to the external community, while also maintaining a good academic standard. The student will have served in a volunteer or leadership capacity during the academic year for which the award is being granted (including the previous summer) with a program or agency benefiting local, national or international charity work. Contributions may be via on-going positions or a combination of shorter-term positions. Students are required to submit a statement which supports this aspect of the award. In exceptional cases, the award selection committee may decide to vary the amount awarded.
- Students must be enrolled in the Spring semester in which the award is granted and have been enrolled in KPU classes during the period of volunteer contribution;
- Good academic standing and a minimum CGPA of 2.0
- Demonstrated volunteer leadership in the external community (e.g. local program agency and/or a local, national, or international charity)
Students can submit applications with the required supporting documentation at the link below. The deadline for applications is February 21, 2019. Applications are adjudicated by the Student Leadership Awards Selection Committee and will be presented at the Annual Awards Celebration in April 2019.
Students must submit documentation supporting their online application. Documents may include faculty/department references or volunteer/community involvement references or any other material the applicant feels is relevant to their application. Refer to the "Profile Selection" page of the application for details.
Supporting documentation must be hand delivered or mailed to Student Awards and Financial Assistance on any KPU campus, on or before the posted deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please submit duplicates as original documents will not be returned to students.
- Tell us your story. Who are you? Why did you choose to contribute in this way? What were your responsibilities? What did you learn from the experience? How will you take this learning forward?
- Try to quantify your contribution as much as possible. How many hours did you contribute? Over what time period?
- Include verification of your contribution which also verifies some of the details above. This verification might be a Volunteer Record or a Letter of Reference from the person you directly reported to.
- Apply for the KPU General In-Course Awards as well!
Pictured Above - Student Life Award Recipients: Top Right: David Warren Koyanagi, Tabitha Swanson, Jessie Foley, Taryn Chisholm, Jack Copeland, Natasha Smith, Saed Abu-Haltam, Noelia Kostur
Middle: Khong Vu, Colleen Sheridan, Gabby Gill, Sana Sohel, Eloise Liu, Zerlinda Chau, Leah Godin, Noelia Kostur, Taylor Robbins, Dawn-Leah McDonald
Front: Andrew Blair, Karveena Bains, Nikka Bagasbas, Moeed Ahmad, Maria Goldin
(not pictured) Roxanne Charles, Cassie Plotnikoff, Joel Shurman
Pictured Above - Giving Back Recipients: Manmeet Chhina, David Warren Koyanagi, Sarah Toma not pictured: Cassandra Hildebrand
Recipient Quick Bios:
For Eagle Spirit award recipients, please visit this site.
Celebration of Leadership & Service Keynote Speaker: Yashar Taheri-Keramati
DIRECTOR AT PEACE AND LOVE INTERNATIONAL
Yashar is the founder of a registered Canadian Charity, Peace and Love International, with efforts in non-governmental international aid, youth development, and progressive education. This non-profit organization has implemented initiatives in Palestine, Ecuador, Haiti, the Philippines but the lion's share of the organization's efforts remain in the violently impoverished townships of South Africa. Projects are primarily aimed at youth - young women in particular -, and are culturally sensitive, incorporating the direction and vision of local stakeholders. He is a graduate of the University of British Columbia and researched a Master's thesis at the University of Cape Town as an Ambassadorial Scholar of the Rotary Foundation.
The Celebration of Leadership & Service is sponsored in part by Coca Cola Bottling Company Canada. SLD thanks Coca Cola for their contribution!