The student leadership program is an experiential learning program that provides KPU students with different opportunities to develop leadership skills that will be beneficial in any career field. Students accepted into the program will be provided with training in different leadership areas and then given the opportunity to use the skills through varied KPU service programs, both on-campus and off-campus.
Student leaders will start by attending a series of leadership development workshops facilitated by other trained leaders in the program. Student leaders who have participated in up to five leadership workshops are eligible to facilitate workshops for others in the program. Those who have demonstrated exceptional leadership skills in the program will attain the Champions title and will be eligible to lead experiential learning activities for the group.
The program accepts a limited number of students each semester, and those accepted must commit to a minimum of one academic year when enrolling in the program.
Why You Should Join
- Develop and enhance your leadership skills
- Meet new people and expand your social and professional network
- Obtain job-related skills for improving your career prospects
- Gain volunteer experience
- Get a leadership certificate at the end of the program
- Get an invitation to the annual leadership team retreat
All current KPU students are eligible to apply. However, only students who have demonstrated their readiness and experience in leadership will be invited to an interview. Selection criteria will include a combination of academic and non-academic performance, and it is students' responsibility to demonstrate their suitability for the program through their application support documents.
We accept application in two ways. Students can submit an application to be considered for the program or alternatively, may be nominated by a university employee (staff, faculty, or administrative employee).
1. Student Application
Students wishing to submit a direct application must include the following:
- Complete the Student Leadership application form
- Write a 200 - 500 words statement of intent, expressing why you are suitable for the program
- Include a current resume and academic transcript
- A letter of recommendation from a KPU faculty, staff, or administrative employee, or other volunteer work's supervisor
2. Nomination by a KPU Employee
Any KPU employee can nominate an outstanding KPU student leader to become a participant in the program. A member of our team will reach out to such student to confirm their interest.
Kindly fill out the form below to nominate a current KPU student.
Duties and Responsibilities
Students accepted into the program are responsible for the following
- Attend a series of leadership workshops
- Take the lead in organizing and hosting a series of workshops that address students' identified needs
- Lead initiatives in developing service-learning opportunities for their team and peers
- Actively demonstrate engagement within all KPU campuses and communities
- Act as an ambassador for the University
- Suggest new initiatives for enhancing student life experience on campus
- Support various programming developed through KPU International and the rest of KPU
- Assist with major University events such as student orientation and convocation
- Provide students with information about support services on-campus and off-campus
Need more information? Contact email@example.com.