What: Scholarships for Canadian undergraduate students. The BC Study Abroad Scholarships celebrate the study abroad experience through student-generated content and financial support. Scholarship recipients will receive $500 for a virtual study abroad program and $1000 for a in-person study abroad program, and the opportunity to share their in-person and/or virtual exchange study abroad experience via blog and photos.
How to apply: To apply for a BC Study Abroad Scholarships:
- Review the application checklist
- Email using the subject line:
- Stories from Study Abroad: British Columbia Study Abroad Scholarships Application
- Email all required material as a single email to:
Application Deadline: March 1, 2024
Eligibility: To be eligible for the BC Study Abroad Scholarships, applying students must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled at a BC Study Abroad Consortium Institution.
- Enrolled in or accepted into a short-term study abroad program. Please note that the program may be conducted either as an in-person exchange (e.g. physically in another country) or as a virtual exchange using virtual learning platforms hosted by a foreign institution.
Amount: $1000 CAD for an in-person study abroad program and $500 CAD for a virtual study abroad program
Website: Financial Aid | BC Study Abroad
What: With the generous support of Global Affairs Canada, the UMAP International Secretariat is providing funding for study abroad programs (physical and virtual) within the UMAP consortium.The UMAP-Canada scholarships are available to Canadian citizen students of Canadian UMAP member institutions to study at UMAP member institutions in other countries AND for foreign nationals from a UMAP member institution to study at UMAP Canada member institutions on an approved UMAP program (physical or virtual) starting between April 1, 2023 and March 31, 2024. More information is on their website here Scholarships - UMAP
How to apply: By invitation only. Students must apply first to KPU Study abroad with an exchange or short-term application and be accepted to a UMAP physical or virtual exchange program. Accepted eligible students will then be contacted with scholarship application details.
Eligibility: Available to Canadian citizen students of Canadian UMAP member institutions. Eligible Programs or study abroad terms must be registered in the UMAP Student Connection Online (USCO) system or pre-approved for consideration by UMAP IS.
Amount: The scholarship value is based on the type and length of the program.
- Short-term programs (7-30 days): $3,500 CAD
- Four-month program / one academic term: $10,200 CAD
- Five- to seven-month program: $12,700 CAD
- Eight-month program / two academic terms: $14,700 CAD
- All programs: longer than one week (7 days) to a maximum of one semester (3-4 months), pro-rated for program type and length, up to CAD $1,000 per month
What: The Huayu Enrichment Scholarship aims to encourage international students (not including students from mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macao) to study Chinese (Huayu) in Taiwan. The monthly stipend is intended to cover tuition, books, rent, and other living expenses. There are two types of scholarships: regular scholarships and summer scholarships.
How to apply: Please apply to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Vancouver.
You must submit the following documents. Please send hard copies and ensure the envelope is postmarked. Please note that no documents submitted as part of the application package will be returned to you.
- A completed Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Application Form
- A photocopy of your passport or another document proving your Canadian citizenship
- Photocopies of your highest academic degree/certificate and your complete academic transcripts
- A photocopy of a document proving you have already applied to a Mandarin Language Centre (e.g. application form, remittance form showing your payment of the application fee, e-mail or written notification from the MLC/school acknowledging receipt of the application). To search for recognized Mandarin Language Centers in Taiwan, please visit https://lmit.edu.tw/lc/.
- Signed copy of the Terms of Agreement
- Two letters of recommendation. These letters should be written by professors, instructors, or supervisors.
* Applicants who have taken the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) will receive priority consideration. If you have a TOCFL certificate, please include a photocopy inside your application package.
Deadline(Regular Scholarship): CLOSED - June 30, 2023
Deadline(Summer Scholarship): CLOSED - April 30, 2023
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for the scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be a Canadian citizen;
- Be eighteen years of age or older;
- Hold an outstanding academic record; and
- Demonstrate good moral character.
An applicant may NOT apply if they:
- Are an overseas Chinese student or a citizen of the R.O.C.;
- Are currently registered as a student at a Mandarin Language Centre or have studied for a degree at any university/college in Taiwan;
- Have received the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship or Taiwan Scholarship in the past;
- Will be an exchange student in Taiwan during the scholarship period;
- Are currently receiving financial assistance from the R.O.C. (Taiwan) government or any educational institution in Taiwan.
Amount: Approx. $1,100 monthly stipend
What: This scholarship is for students who have been on an exchange or are currently on exchange. To enter, you much submit a photo from your study abroad experience. You can upload up to 5 photos per entry and you enter as many times as you like. Photos must be original, non-blurry, and include caption and location. The winner will be announced on BC Study Abroad's Facebook and Instagram channels in late October 2022
How to apply:
- Follow @bc_studyabroad on Instagram
- Enter the Photo Contest by posting your study abroad photos and tag @bc_studyabroad
- You can enter the contest as many times as you like
- Participants must adhere to the Terms and Conditions on the website 8th Annual BC Study Abroad Photo Contest | BC Study Abroad
Application Deadline: CLOSED October 14, 2022
Eligibility: Only for students who have been on an exchange or are currently on exchange
Amount: a $50 Visa Prepaid Card