Journalism and Communication Studies
KPU’s award-winning faculty brings real-world experience in digital journalism right into the classroom. And KPU’s graduates work for some of the top news organizations in the world, including The Globe and Mail, CBC and The Huffington Post.
- KPU's Bachelor of Journalism program features the full range of storytelling possibilities, including narrative, animation, interactivity, audio and video.
- Journalism courses range from Multimedia Storytelling to Data Visualization and Narrative Nonfiction to Photojournalism.
- Communication Studies courses explore the many ways media affect our lives, and how to sort through the constant stream of information that bombards us all.
- Students who earn the Bachelor of Journalism or who take our courses as electives while studying another major, will get valuable transferable skills that can be put to use in many fields, including using social media and journalistic research skills in a professional setting.
- Check out what some of our recent grads have to say about the program.
Click here to learn about the courses required to earn a Bachelor of Journalism.
Any student can take our courses as Arts electives, whether they're getting a Journalism degree or a major in something else, or haven't figured that out yet. Click here to see what courses we offer.
Click here for more information about 2016/17 courses.
"A lot of skills, training and first-hand industry knowledge are packed into KPU’s journalism program, as are endless opportunities to apply them. The chance to connect with journalists and editors, to intern in newsrooms, to learn from reporters who have been there and done, are what make this program an invaluable resource to anyone considering a career in journalism. My goal is to become a foreign correspondent, and even though KPU doesn't have any specific courses in this area, this program – its opportunities, its instructors – have helped me take some significant steps toward that goal. If I had to start over again today, I would re-apply in an instant, and I’m sure I would graduate an even bigger proponent of the program."
“Kwantlen equipped me with many of the skills I use on a daily basis, as well as with the knowledge of how to effectively apply them. I think some of my biggest takeaways from Kwantlen are my research, story development and entrepreneurship skills. Kwantlen encourages out-of-the-box thinking with its seminar-style classes, which prepared me to contribute to innovative journalism companies such as HuffPost Live.”
“Having working journalists – and not simply academics – running Kwantlen's journalism program allowed me to get a comprehensive education that prepared me for working in a newsroom. I have a binder of notes and handouts from Kwantlen courses at my desk that I still refer to on a regular basis. Kwantlen prepared me to be a well-rounded, driven journalist who can write, edit, photograph, paginate, question and investigate."