Sign up for our mailing list!
Admissions now open!
To apply to the KPU Brewing and Brewery Operations Program, you must complete the following two steps:
If you have any questions about the application process, please email email@example.com or call 604-599-2357.
Deadline to apply is April 18, 2014. We have extended the admissions deadline for the Brewing and Brewery Operations Program! All applications and supporting documents MUST BE SUBMITTED by JUNE 27, 2014.
KPU’s Faculty of Science and Horticulture is excited to announce our new Diploma in Brewing & Brewery Operations! Beginning in September 2014, the two-year program will be the first of its kind in British Columbia. With the craft brewery and brew pub industries experiencing unprecedented growth in the province, the program is expected to help meet industry demands.
Students will study the science, production and business of brewing in a state-of-the-art brew laboratory to be built on the Langley campus. The curriculum, developed in consultation with the BC Craft Brewers Guild and brewmasters throughout the province, will involve learning brew science theory with hands-on experience in the field. Students will explore the history of brewing, brewery equipment and technology, as well as brew house calculations and recipe formulations. The full-time diploma program will include a summer work placement.
- Licensee and Agency Sales and Operations
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Brewery Operations
- Brew Pub Operations
- Retail sales
Year 1 Fall
- Introduction and History of Brewing
- Brewing 1
- Sensory Evaluation and Ingredients
- Introduction to Professional Communication
- Introductory Computer Applications
Year 1 Spring
- Brewing Microbiology
- Brewing Chemistry
- Brewing Equipment and Technology
- Brewing 2
- Introduction to Filtration, Carbonation, Finishing & Packaging
- Brewing Work Experience
Year 2 Fall
- Advanced Filtration, Carbonation, Finishing and Packaging
- Advanced Sensory Evaluation, Product Evaluation and Judging
- Calculations and Recipe Formulation
- Brewing 3
- Business Ethics
Year 2 Spring
- Product Sales and Promotions
- Brewery Management and Supervisory Skills
- The Brewing Industry
- Brewing 4
In addition to KPU’s general university admission requirements, including the undergraduate-level English Proficiency Requirements, the following program admission requirements apply for the Diploma in Brewing & Brewery Operations:
- English 12 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C+
- Chemistry 12 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C+
- Pre-calculus 11 or Foundations of Mathematics 11 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C+
- Portfolio Review including:
- - Letters of reference or additional documents to enhance the application
- - Cover Letter including:
- - Reasons for interest in the program
- - Career goals and how this program will factor in reaching those goals
- - Experience with brewing and/or brewing-related industries
- - Why applicant is an ideal candidate for this program
- Resume containing:
- - Work experience (particularly in the brewing, hospitality, or other related industry).
- - Post-secondary and/or Continuing Education
- Students are required to be a minimum of 19 years of age by the first day of classes. Selection will be made by an Admissions Selection Committee composed of faculty, staff, and external members of the Program Advisory Committee.
For more information on the program or how to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-599-2357. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates!