Welcome to Professional Studies Health
We offer a variety of RN/LPN nursing refresher education
Courses offered include:
RN or LPN:
- Competency Assessment & Enhancement for Nurses (CAEN) (PNCA 1000)*
- Health & Physical Assessment (PNUR 1109)*
- Professional Communication (PNUR 1120)*
- Psychomotor Skills Review (PNUR 1111)*
- Gerontology In Nursing (PNUR 9031)*
- Fit Testing (PNUR 9001)*
- Nurse Ready (PNUR 9030)*
- Nurse Ready Boot Camp (Condensed) (PNUR 9036)*
- Introduction to the Canadian Health Care System and Nursing in Canada - For RNs (PNUR 1101)*
- Canadian Nursing Theory and Practice - For RNs (formerly Medical Surgical Review) (PNUR 1112)*
- Pharmacology (PNUR 1100)*
- Early Recognition and Intervention for the Deteriorating Patient - For RNs (PNUR 9019)*
- Basic Electrocardiogram (ECG) Interpretation - for RNs (PNUR 9012)*
- Consolidated Clinical Course (250 hours) (PNUR 1130)*
- Specialized Clinical Course (400 hours) (PNUR 9020)*
- NCLEX Boot Camp - For RNs (formerly Canadian Registered Nurse Exam Preparation) (PNUR 1199)*
- Pharmacology for LPNs (PNUR 9032)*
- LPN Canadian Nursing Theory & Practice (PNUR 9033)*
- Introduction to the Canadian Health Care System and Nursing in Canada – For LPNs (PNUR 9035)*
- LPN Consolidated Clinical Course (PNUR 9034)*
We can also offer customized training for your worksite, please contact our office.
News & Events:
- Updated November 22 2018 - Spring 2019 registration will open this week on Flexreg. If you experience issues with registration, please email CPS directly at email@example.com for immediate assistance.
- Updated November 22 2018 - We are offering an additional session of PNUR 1109 this fall on December 10-11, 2018, registration is open on Flexreg until December 3rd.
- Updated July 13 2018 - When registering for PNUR classes, Flexreg should direct you to a payment screen to enter your credit card details once you select your course(s) and register. If you received a message that you are registered and the payment method is "bill me later" and fees show as $0.00 you are not registered. Please contact CPS at 604-599-2020 to complete your registration and pay the course fees if you received the "bill me later" option. To verify if your registration is complete and that you are on the class list, sign into courses.kpu.ca. If you see your course(s) on your dashboard then you are signed up and should appear on the class list. If you do not see the course you registered for, please contact CPS to investigate.
How to register
Registration for Professional Studies Courses in the Faculty of Health is done via Flexreg. Students with sponsorship letters can contact our office for details on how to register. Registrants are responsible to check for any last minute changes or updates.
As information on Flexreg can be limited, it is important to review each course website noted above to ensure eligibility prior to purchasing a seat as there are no refunds.
To register, open Flexreg and in the search box type PNUR. All available PNUR courses will appear. Please review each course carefully to ensure you select the correct course as multiple options for the same course may apply. To purchase a course, select "add course" and then select "register" in the bottom right corner. If you already have a KPU ID, sign in, otherwise create a profile. Write down your KPU ID (9 digit student number 100 xxx xxx) once issued as this will not be emailed. Please be sure to also email our office the signed policy form noted below.
The Continuing and Professional Studies office at KPU (CPS) manages Flexreg on behalf of Faculty of Health. Any issues with Flexreg can be directed to CPS in the event our office is unavailable. Help Desk can provide technical assistance at 604-599-2116 for issues with KPU log in, not Flexreg.
Applicants registering for a Competency Assessment & Enhancement for Nurses (CAEN), can purchase a seat via Flexreg for the appropriate month. Sponsored candidates will require a sponsorship letter from the sponsor (employer/union) that includes the name of the applicant, to whom the report should be sent and authority to invoice the third party with their name and address to send the invoice. Whether sponsoring or paying personally, the course to search on Flexreg is PNCA 1000. There are monthly options for self paid or sponsored, please select the appropriate course. As sponsored seats are invoiced to a third party, the rates on Flexreg may appear as $0 as the candidate is not responsible for the fees. In all cases, once a seat is purchased, please email our office to book the appointment. Any issues with trying to purchase a seat, please contact our office. In the email, please include the CRNBC/CLPNBC/CRPNBC file number, the signed policy form outlined (see “Policy Form” below) and indicate the preferred appointment date. Please note: for individuals who are sponsored to attend the CAEN, the CAEN results are sent directly to the third party. CAEN appointments occur on Wednesdays at the Langley campus. For more information on the CAEN, please access the course website.
Applicants registering for any of our Clinical courses, should read the information as outlined under the respective Clinical Course website links above before registering for the course via flexreg. Clinical registration can only occur if applicants have all their prerequisites ready including having mastered any and all education as identified by their assessment report (CAEN, NCAS, etc.) Do not purchase a seat for Clinical until all the prerequisites are complete and all other education is mastered as there are no refunds. All prerequisites must remain current for the duration of the applicable semester. If any of the prerequisites expire during the applicable semester, with the exception of IELTS or CELBAN, these must be renewed prior to purchasing a seat.
In addition to accessing the online Flexreg registration system, all students (except those only being fit tested) must submit a signed copy of the Policy Acknowledgement Form once applicants have read and understood the relevant policies as indicated in the form. This form is required at the time of registration and can be email or faxed.
The policies can be found at www.kpu.ca/policies and Student Rights & Responsibilities. In the event an applicant requires further clarification on the policies, please contact the Professional Studies office prior to signing and submitting the acknowledgement form.
Students interested in pursuing courses through KPU's Faculty of Health, Professional Studies Department should make themselves familiar with all course requirements. To review course requirements, please open the individual course websites listed above.
All students registering for any of our Consolidated Clinical Courses must demonstrate English language proficiency through original Canadian educational transcripts (secondary or post-secondary). Internationally educated students will require proof of English language proficiency through the International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) or the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN). Please open the individual Clinical Course websites above for further details.
Students with mental or physical impairments, who may require program or practicum (preceptorship) accommodations, should contact the Program Director at 604.599.2053 to discuss required skills and competencies, and an Accessibility Advisor at 604.599.2148 to ensure appropriate accommodations can be arranged prior to registering for Professional Studies courses. Due to time constraints, accommodations cannot be considered after a person has registered for a course.
Current schedules are available on Flexreg under "meeting times" for each course. Students can search for courses on Flexreg by typing PNUR in the search box to view all the available options or type PNUR (PNCA 1000 for the CAEN) and the specific course number to see a specific course. Only those courses open for registration will appear on Flexreg. To view the schedule, select “course details” and “meeting times”. If a course does not appear on Flexreg, please email our program assistant.
All Faculty of Health, Professional Studies course fees are non-refundable/non-transferrable.
How to reach us
The Faculty of Health, Professional Studies Office is located at the KPU Langley campus in the South Building, Room L1853 (this is on the ground floor).
Preferred contact is via email
Office phone number is 604-599-2232
Fax number is 604-599-2460
Open lab practice sessions
Students registered in any of our Professional Studies courses, with the exception of PNUR 9001-Fit Testing, PNUR 1199-NCLEX Boot Camp and PNCA 1000-CAEN, are eligible to attend the open practice simulation sessions hosted at KPU's Langley nursing labs throughout the semester. The practice sessions are drop-in however, Professional Studies students are required to pre-book their sessions by emailing the Program Assistant. Students registered for the PNCA 1000-CAEN Assessment, PNUR 1199-NCLEX Boot Camp or PNUR 9001-Fit Testing are not eligible to attend these simulation workshops. The simulation sessions are designed to provide students with additional practice times in the simulation lab so they can improve their skills. New skills are not taught during this open practice, therefore, students would practice only the skills they have reviewed in advance. Current student registration, KPU student ID, uniform, name tag and lab kits are required to attend these sessions. Lab kits can be purchased in advance at the Langley bookstore if needed. Please contact our office for a list of current sessions being offered.
Immigrant Access Fund Canada (IAF) is a registered charity/not-for-profit that provides microloans to immigrants and refugees that had a profession before coming to Canada, but lack the financial resources to cover the cost of re-certification/licensing or upgrading of their education. More information can be found by calling 1-855-423-2262 or by visiting their website at www.iafcanada.org