To graduate means you have completed all the requirements set by Senate for a credential, the Office of the Registrar has confirmed that all requirements have been met, and Senate has conferred the credential.
In order to graduate, each student must submit an application for graduation. An application must be submitted regardless of whether or not a student intends to participate in the convocation ceremonies.
1) Ensure you are on track to graduate with your intended credential.
- Review your audit in My Action Plan (MAP); all requirements must be met with already completed courses or courses in progress (CIP).
- If you intend to graduate with a different credential than is shown in your MAP audit, you will need to file a program declaration or program change.
- If you need assistance with your audit or program change, see an Academic Advisor.
- For more details about graduation requirements, consult the University Calendar and Policy AR16, Requirements for Graduation.
2) Submit an application to graduate once you've confirmed that you will be eligible to graduate.
- Finishing in the Fall Semester (September - December)?
- Apply before October 31 and your credential will normally be conferred at the January meeting of Senate.
- Finishing in the Spring Semester (January - April)?
- Apply before February 28 and your credential will normally be conferred at the May meeting of Senate.
- Finishing in the Summer Semester (May - August)?
- Apply before June 30 and your credential will normally be conferred at the September meeting of Senate.
3) Submit an aplication to attend convocation to receive your credential. (Optional - Graduates that do not attend convocation will be sent their diploma by mail.)
- Convocation ceremonies are held annually in June and October on the Surrey Campus; the exact date and time of the ceremony for each Faculty and program is determined about 8 weeks beforehand.
- Students must apply if they wish to attend convocation, in addition to applying to graduate.
- Three weeks prior to your ceremony you will be sent an email to confirm your attendance and reserve your regalia online.
- For further information about convocation, see kpu.ca/convocation.
- International students: If you plan to invite family from abroad to attend, be sure to apply for the necessary travel documents for your family in advance.
4) Successfully complete any courses in progress, and watch for updates.
- The header of your MAP audit will show the status of your application.
- Notices of your assessment will be sent to your KPU email address.
- The Graduation Roll will be updated after each month's meeting of Senate to include all graduates approved by Senate. Updates normally happen the day following each Senate meeting.
5) Need a transcript that shows your credential?
- Once your name appears on the Graduation Roll you may order an official transcript that states the credential awarded.
Note: Inquiries sent to firstname.lastname@example.org must be from a KPU student email address and include both your full name and student number.