2022 NATIONAL PORTFOLIO DAY EVENT UPDATE
The Wilson School of Design at KPU is thrilled to once again be named as the Vancouver National Portfolio Day host for 2022. This year's in-person event will be held on Saturday November 5, 2022 from 11am to 3pm.
The Wilson School of Design at KPU is proud to host the 2022 Vancouver National Portfolio Day event in our beautiful campus, situated beside the main KPU Richmond Campus.
Wilson School of Design at KPU
5600 Kwantlen Street
Richmond, British Columbia
Date: Saturday November 5, 2022
Time: 11:00am - 3:00pm
How To Get Here/Parking
- Parking is free in our campus parking lots on event day
- We are directly across from the Lansdowne Shopping Centre, and the Lansdowne Skytrain stop on the Canada Line
- Attendees must register to attend this free event. Only students who wish to meet with schools to have their portfolio reviewed should register (not parents or friends).
- Register here. Registration is managed by Visit Days, and you will need to create a free account to register. Once you have created an account, you can register for multiple events.
Connect with Us
- Do you have questions about attending? Contact Gabrielle Durning, Communications & Events Cordinator: email@example.com or 604-599-2567
- If you are unable to attend our on-campus National Portfolio Day event on November 5, 2022, you can also attend a Virtual Event. View the full NPDA schedule here.
- Contact our Student Recruitment Coordinator, Amanda Naseri to ask questions about any of our program entry requirements or set up a portfolio review with us, outside of the Portfolio Day events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should attend this event?
Students who are considering a post-secondary education in art or design are encouraged to attend. Most often, students in grades 10 to 12 are encouraged to attend. Come meet with schools who you may be interested in, bring your portfolio, find out about admission requirements, and get feedback on your work. Feel free to bring your parents, a friend, a teacher or counsellor. Sometimes, having someone with you to provide support and an extra pair of 'ears' can be helpful.
What should I bring to a National Portfolio Day?
Your portfolio can include finished pieces, work in progress, and sketchbooks. We ask you to bring your original artwork whenever possible. We suggest that you do not spend time and money matting or framing your work. Keep your presentation simple; the work itself is what is of interest to us. We will provide wifi access, so if your work is online or in a digital format, feel free to bring your laptop or tablet.
Will I be able to meet with all of the schools at the event?
No. Typically, there are over 1000 students who attend this event, and there just aren't enough hours for every school to meet with every student. However, we recommend making your own short-list of the Top 3-5 schools you hope to connect with and try to meet with those first.
Do I have to wait to meet with school representatives?
Yes. Students line up to meet with each of the schools they wish to connect with. Be prepared to wait, and bring your positive attitude (and maybe some snacks!). You will have a chance to meet many other students who will also be waiting, and perhaps you can make some new friends.
In the case of a repeated course, the grade used in computing Grade Point Average (GPA) will be the highest grade received. The grades for all attempts will remain on the student’s permanent academic record and will appear on their transcript.
Can I reserve a meeting time with school representatives??
No. All schools meet with event attendees on a first come, first served basis.
Can I "camp out" the night before the event, to get access to the front of the line?
No. Due to liability issues, we will not permit anyone to line up outside our building prior to 8:00am on the day of the event. Anyone attempting to line up prior to that time will be asked by security to leave the premises.
Will there be wifi available, so I can bring my computer/device to show my digital portfolio?
Yes. The wifi access details will be posted throughout our venue.
How do I get to the event venue?
We are located across from the Lansdowne Skytrain station, across from the Lansdowne Centre (across from T&T Supermarket). There are several bus stops near our building, check with Translink for details. Our address is 5600 Kwantlen Street. We also have ample, free parking available onsite.
I am coming from out of town. Can you recommend a hotel nearby?
There are many options for accommodations near our campus. Here is a list of a few, as well, you can contact the Richmond Chamber of Commerce for more information.
Are masks required? What are your health and safety plans?
We encourage attendees to wear masks, but it is a personal decision, and mask wearing will not be enforced. Please bring hand sanitizer with you, and keep your distance from others, where possible. We will be followng the recommended health and safety guidelines as directed by the Provincial Health Officer, at the time of the event.
Will I be able to purchase snacks or food?
There is a Tim Horton's available on campus, and, directly across from our campus is the Lansdowne Centre. Feel free to bring your own snacks, as you will be waiting in line-ups.
What is a National Portfolio Day?
The National Portfolio Day Association (NPDA) was established in 1978 solely for the organization and planning of National Portfolio Day events. Today, the Association continues this work and has broadened its mission to provide support to professionals advising students on portfolio development for college/university admission. Consisting of more than 100 post-secondary institutions that hold regional accreditation and accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), or its equivalent, NPDA is the only organization of its kind and its membership represents the highest standard of visual arts education available in the world. High school students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors and college transfer students are encouraged to attend.
If you are thinking of pursuing a post-secondary education in art or design, you will likely have to include a portfolio of your work, as part of your application. The National Portfolio Day events provide students with a unique opportunity to meet one on one with professional representatives. These reps are there for you to ask questions about their programs, and most importantly, get feedback on how to improve your portfolio so it will be a successful part of your application.
Participating schools at our event:
- Alberta University of the Arts
- Art Academy of Cincinnati
- ArtCenter College of Design
- California College of the Arts
- California Institute of the Arts
- College for Creative Studies
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design
- Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising/FIDM
- KPU Entertainment Arts
- Maine College of Art & Design
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- New York School of Interior Design
- OCAD University
- Otis College of Art and Design
- Pacific Northwest College of Art at Willamette University
- Parsons School of Design/Parsons Paris at The New School
- Ringling College of Art & Design
- Rhode Island School of Design
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University
- School of Visual Arts
- The University of British Columbia
- University of the Arts London
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Wilson School of Design at KPU
- York University