Before you meet with an advisor to plan your second semester, consider the following questions. After your first few semesters, it is very common to question your original goals and plans based on what you've experienced. Either you will confirm that your goals and plans are a good fit or you may decide that you are excited to pursue something new. Make an appointment well before the busy registration period to discuss this with an advisor.
YOUR COURSE LOAD
- How many courses did you take? How many credits?
- Considering your personal life and other responsibilities, how did this course load work for you this semester?
- Would you take more or less courses in the future? Would you need to make changes to other aspects of your life? Would you need additional supports to make these changes?
- How are your grades in assignments or tests so far? Are your grades higher or lower than you expected?
- What contributed to these marks?
- What skills do you have that supported these marks?
- What skills do you need to develop to do even better?
- What is/was your favorite course this semester? Why?
- What was surprising about the courses you took this semester?
- Is your favorite course or courses what you expected to like? Do you have a pattern of being interested in these courses?
- How would you describe your strengths? How did your strengths help you this semester?
- What were your top challenges? Is there anything you can do about them?
YOUR INITIATIVE AND PLANNING
- What steps did you take that contributed to your performance this semester?
- What steps can you take in the future, to ensure you do even better?
- What advice did you receive that helped you this semester?
- What do you wish you had known before you started the semester?