Professional Pest Management | Module 1
The Professional Pest Management (PPM) course was designed for industry professionals and anyone interested in learning more about pest management. The content was created by Dr. Cameron Lait, a well-respected entomologist and co-chair of KPU’s School of Horticulture. This course is recognized by the Structural Pest Management Association of BC (SPMABC) and students who successfully complete Module 1 will receive five credits towards their pest applicator license recertification.
Professional Pest Management Module 1 will provide customized training for industry, as well as additional, up-to-date training in technical aspects of pest management, quality assurance and customer care to upgrade your professional industry development.
Who will benefit from this course?
- Professional Pest Managers
- Pest Control Technicians
- Landscape Managers
- Turf Grass Managers
- Public Building Managers
- Environmental Advocates
- Childcare Safety Advocates
- Regulatory Personnel
The program consists of four modules — this is the first Foundational Level, Module 1 which will happen over three days. The course includes lecture and laboratory sessions. In the lab, you will learn how to properly preserve and examine the morphology of insect specimens using stereo microscopes and/or a hand lens. Students are encouraged to review lecture slides prior to each class and be prepared to discuss any questions you may have. There will be a brief quiz at the beginning of each class to review material from the previous day. At the end of the three-day course, there will be an exam to test your knowledge of all of the content covered.
- Basic insect biology
- Survey of important structural pest orders and families
- Pest behaviour
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) philosophy and practices
- Basic pesticide chemistry, safety, regulations
- Safety protocols and professionalism when you’re at the work site
Participants who successfully complete the course will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify key morphological features of arthropods
- Understand basic insect biology
- Understand integrated pest management principles
- Recognize insect behavior as related to structural pest management
- Manipulate live or preserved specimens without damage
- Identify arthropods from live or preserved specimens to Order or Family using a range of resources and keys
- Recognize the hazards associated with the use of chemical pesticides
Dr. Cameron Lait, BSc (Biology), PhD (Major Plant Biochemistry & Physiology)
Location: KPU Langley campus | 20901 Langley Bypass | Langley, BC
If you have any questions, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
|Professional Pest Management Module 1 - PHRT 9000 (CRN: 80265)||KPU Langley||$375.00 (plus GST)|