ONCE REGISTRATION OPENS ON FLEXREG, YOU MAY SEND YOUR EMAIL WITH ALL OF YOUR ATTACHED PREREQUISITES FOR CLINICAL
Learners will demonstrate nursing knowledge, skills and abilities under the guidance of an RN in a health care practice setting.
This is an offsite course and placements are secured only in BC Lower Mainland hospitals and will include evening and weekend shifts for 250 hours, approximately 8 weeks. Learners are only placed on acute medical or surgical units. Placement locations only include hospitals within the Vancouver Coastal Health region, Fraser Health Authority region or Providence Health region, therefore, learners should expect to travel to placement locations. Placement outside of these three regions is not possible. Placement start dates will occur at any time during the semester following registration. Start dates are determined by the hospital units that accept the placement and are not adjustable by the learner. It is recommended that learners reside in the lower mainland following registration for Consolidated Clinical as placement start dates can be short notice and often there is unit specific training required prior to starting the placement. Training dates for this specific unit training can be limited. Once placed, the learner will mirror their preceptor's work schedule until the 250 hours are complete, this can include evening, weekend and holiday shifts. Applicants are not permitted to seek their own placements/preceptors as all placements will be arranged by KPU's Professional Studies office. Please note: Applicants who do not accept the placement location as assigned will receive non-mastery in the course and the course fee will not be refunded.
$2,000.00 CAD, plus GST (Please note: All Faculty of Health, Professional Studies course fees are non-refundable/non-transferrable.)
Successful grade for this course is Mastery
Learners who are not successful in PNUR 1130, Consolidated Clinical are required to contact their Canadian Nursing Regulatory Body for advisement if they are not successful after their first attempt. No exceptions. Please note, there is no appeal mechanism within KPU for students receiving non-mastery.
To be eligible to register, applicants must have one of the following:
- Completion of KPU Competency Assessment and Enhancement for Nurses’ (CAEN) assessment and have successfully mastered all education recommendations as identified in the subsequent CAEN Report. The assessment date on the report must be current in the last two (2) years. If the CAEN results are older than two years, learners will need to complete a new CAEN; OR
- Completion of a Substantially Equivalent Competency (SEC) or NCAS assessment and have successfully mastered all educational requirements as identified in all steps of the letter/email from BCCNP. If the learner has not mastered all of the identified education, with the exception of Consolidated Clinical, as noted in the letter from BCCNP, then registration for clinical is not permitted. Learners are not eligible to purchase a seat in clinical if they have outstanding coursework as seats are not held in Clinical and there are no refunds or transfers in Professional Studies Health. The original SEC/NCAS Assessment result letter/email must be current in the last two (2) years. Extensions granted by BCCNP are not considered current for clinical. Learners will be required to complete a CAEN if their original SEC/NCAS letter/email is more than two (2) years old.
In addition to having completed one of the assessments noted above, all applicants registering for PNUR 1130 must have in their possession the following documentation for Consolidated Clinical in order to be eligible to register; related costs are the responsibility of the individual learner:
- Applicants who are not a Canadian Citizen are required to secure a clear Criminal Record Search from their country of origin. The Criminal Record Search must remain valid for the duration of the semester an applicant is registered in. An expired Criminal Record Search will not be accepted. Please note the Criminal Record Search must be sealed in the original envelope as received from the issuing agency. Applicants who are Permanent Residents are also required to provide a Criminal Record Search from their country of origin. When scanning the prerequisites, please don't open the envelope just scan the sealed envelope.
- A valid Criminal Record Check (CRC) issued by the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General submitted through KPU's Faculty of Health, Professional Studies office. This step is only done in person at the Professional Studies office once a seat has been purchased for Clinical. When applicants visit the Professional Studies office to submit their documents for clinical, if all is complete, the Canadian CRC application forms will be completed and processed. CRC requests will not be processed if the application for Clinical is incomplete i.e. any of the prerequisites are expiring during the semester the applicant intends to register for or the applicant has not completed all the recommended education in addition to clinical. There is a $28 fee payable via visa or mastercard only that must be submitted at the time of application and is payable to the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. Debit and Visa debit cards are not accepted. Please bring two pieces of valid ID. One piece of ID must be any government issued (BC Driver License preferred) and display the learner's current legal name, date of birth, signature and photo, no exceptions. If valid ID cannot be produced, registration will not proceed.
- All applicants, regardless of their status with BCCNP, must provide original proof of English proficiency. We accept: English proficiency test CELBAN original transcripts only with minimum test scores being Speaking:CLB 8, Listening:CLB 10, Reading:CLB 8, Writing:CLB 7; or English proficiency test IELTS (Academic Version) with minimum test scores being Speaking:7, Listening 7.5, Reading 6.5, Writing 7.0; Please note, results from combining tests are not accepted. We do not accept photocopies of test results. We only accept original transcripts. We will accept Academic IELTS or CELBAN results if they have expired. Applicants who are Canadian graduates can submit their official university transcript meeting the following English requirements: English 12 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of B; or undergraduate English equivalent with a minimum of C+. If the applicant's transcript does not meet these minimum English grade requirements, the applicant is required to submit either Academic IELTS or CELBAN test scores as noted above.
- Proof of CPR Level C Canadian certificate or higher; CPR certification must remain valid for the duration of the placement.
- Proof of Immunizations consistent with the requirements of clinical agencies. If an applicant does not have immunization records available, please print the Immunization form provided and have it authorized by a medical doctor to confirm proof of the stated immunizations Immunization Form.
- Valid Canadian Negative TB Screening (skin test is valid for six months, x-ray is valid for one year), results must be valid for the duration of the placement. The TB testing must have been completed in Canada. If the TB results are expiring during the semester, they must be renewed prior to registration. Registration will not proceed if the TB results expire prior to the end of the semester in which the learner applies.
- Signed Confidentiality Agreement
- Signed HSP Consent Form Consent Form for Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Applicants must complete this Applicant Resume form only, other resume formats will not be accepted. The resume form is to be emailed as an attachment in the WORD format (please do not convert to PDF) along with all the other scanned prerequisites. Learners are not required to print and bring this resume to the appointment. Please include any Professional Studies courses that have been successfully mastered in the section titled "Additional Education/Post Graduate". When listing experience, start with all RN experience first, both employee and student experience and then if there is other healthcare related experience such as LPN or RPN please include that information. Email address to send the document to is email@example.com
- Applicants are required to complete Fit Testing prior to registration. The Fit Test records must be valid for the duration of the placement and should be completed in BC to ensure the correct N95 mask size is available. Health Authorities in BC currently use 3M 1860S, 3M 1860 and 3M Aura 1870+. To register for Fit Testing at KPU, please visit our Fit Testing website for details. If learners are intending to be fit tested at KPU, please ensure the fit testing appointment occurs prior to submitting the prerequisites for registration. A fit testing record from other agencies is accepted provided the N95 model is the same as utilized in BC.
- Please include a copy of the email from BCCNP outlining the SEC/NCAS results. If learners completed a CAEN with KPU, a copy of the report is not required.
- Please include a copy of the signed Policy form found on our homepage if not previously sent
- Please include a valid KPU student number and send email from learner's valid KPU email address
How to Register for the Consolidated Clinical Course (PNUR 1130)
Prior to purchasing a seat in the Clinical course, learners will need to have obtained all the prerequisites, and be in possession of all required documents. If learners are missing any of the prerequisites noted above or have not yet mastered the recommended education do not proceed to step two.
Upon confirmation of STEP ONE, using Flexreg, search PNUR 1130 and determine if registration is open and seats are available.
- If the course shows “0” seats available, learners must wait for the next semester before emailing the prerequisites to our office for registration
- If there are seats available for purchase, please scan all the prerequisite noted above and forward to our office via email from learner's valid KPU email address. KPU email is required for HSPNet. Please ensure the KPU email is set up as communications from placement sites will only be sent to KPU email. To set up KPU student email visit oss.kpu.ca
- If learners are missing any of the prerequisites, do not send the email as authorization will not be granted to purchase a seat. Please note, there are no refunds for course registration.
Within a week (unless the office is closed for holidays), the Faculty of Health Professional Studies Office will contact the learner via email upon reviewing the scanned documents. All emails will be responded to in the order they are received, follow-up emails and phone calls are not required. Please enable email tracking options prior to sending the email if proof of delivery receipt is required. Duplicate emails are not required and delay response times.
- If any documents are missing or incomplete, learners will not be authorized to purchase a seat and will be notified
- If all documents are received, and are complete, learners will be advised of eligibility to purchase a seat in the course
- Learners must be available to attend the Faculty of Health Professional Studies Office in Langley, BC in person within one week of purchasing the course
- Only purchase a seat in Clinical if travel to our offices in person within one week of purchasing a seat is possible as seats are not held, this will be confirmed when you are contacted
- Failure to attend a meeting at the Faculty of Health Professional Studies Office in Langley, BC within one week of purchase, will forfeit the registration and no refund will be issued
- Please note, seats are sold on a ‘first come, first served’ basis and authorization from our office does not guarantee a seat will be available for purchase
When learners are ready and if seats are available, purchase a seat in the clinical course via Flexreg and search PNUR 1130.
If there are no available seats for the course, please refer to step one above. Authorization to purchase a seat in Clinical applies only to the current semester in which registrations are being accepted as prerequisites expire.
Once a seat is purchased for clinical, please email our office using KPU email within 48 hours to book the meeting appointment. The appointment must occur within one week (7 days) of purchasing the seat.
- This is an in person appointment only
- Learners cannot send a representative in their place
- Learners must bring all of the original prerequisites as well as copies of all prerequisites
- Learners will be required to complete the Canadian Criminal Record Check forms provided by our office
- The cost for the Canadian Criminal Record Check is currently $28.00 (Cdn), payable by VISA or MASTERCARD only
- Learners are required to bring two current pieces of government issued identification to this meeting.
- Please note, one form of government issued identification must include a photograph, signature, and birthdate
- Failure to attend a meeting in the Faculty of Health Professional Studies Office in Langley, BC within one week of purchase, will forfeit the registration and no refund will be issued
Registration closes once all the seats are full or one month after the start of the semester to allow enough time to place all students.
Current Course Schedule
Current course schedules are available on Flexreg by searching for PNUR 1130, select "Course Details", and select "Meeting times". Please note: Start and end dates for individual placements are based on placement details as approved in HSPNet which are outside KPU's control and may not coincide with semester dates.
Text Books/Course Materials
Internet access required. Wi-Fi technology not recommended for quiz/exams. Online course modality may not be fully functional when utilizing iPads &/or android devices.
Drug Guidebook – one of the following:
- Recommended: Lippincott Drug Guide (latest edition) OR
- Davis Drug Guide (latest edition)
Please contact our Program Assistant at 604.599.2232 or email