KPU has established policies and procedures (kpu.ca/policies) to ensure that all members of the University community benefit from the promotion of its core values and understand the rules of community membership. Rights and responsibilities of the various members of the University community are a key component of all policies. The University will take reasonable steps to ensure that students, as members of the University community, are aware of their rights and responsibilities, as follows:
- Students have the right to pursue their education in an environment that is safe, secure and conducive to learning. Students have the right to be free from harassment, sexual harassment or violence, bullying or discrimination, indignity, injury or violence.
- Students have the right to free inquiry, expression, belief, political association and assembly, provided that University policies and procedures are not violated in doing so.
- Students have the right to due process and procedural fairness in any investigation pertaining to KPU policy or procedure.
- Students have the right to have their privacy protected, consistent with University policy and privacy legislation.
- Students have the right to be informed of the content and requirements of their courses and programs.
- Students have the right to reasonable and legitimate access to the University’s buildings and facilities.
- Students have the right to reasonable access to statements of policies, procedures and guidelines of the University and its associated student organizations.
- Students have the right to form clubs and committees through the Kwantlen Student Association (KSA) and to associate with other organizations to promote common interests.
Along with rights come responsibilities, as follows:
- Students at KPU are expected to act in keeping with the values of the University community and to obey local, provincial and federal laws.
- Students are responsible for following KPU Policies and Procedures. KPU policies and procedures can be found at kpu.ca/policies.
- Students are responsible for exercising their freedoms with honesty, integrity, and respect for the principles of justice, equality and human rights.
- Students are responsible for contributing to making the KPU community safe, respectful and inclusive. Students must refrain from conduct that threatens or endangers the health, safety, well-being or dignity of any person.
- Students are responsible for their own actions whether acting individually or in a group.
- Students have an obligation to make legal and responsible decisions concerning their conduct and to model and convey the University’s expectations of conduct to their guests.
- Students are responsible for resolving academic and personal problems by communicating with the appropriate University personnel.
- Students are responsible for keeping the University informed of their current mailing address, contact information and any change of name.
- Students are responsible for observing and obeying all health and safety procedures outlined for classrooms, laboratories, field trips and practicums.
- Students are responsible for becoming familiar with course outlines, content, evaluation methods, timelines and methodology.
- Students are responsible for reading their email as directed to their University-assigned email account and for responsible use of technology.
The Student Rights and Responsibilities Office (SRRO) can assist students with issues arising out of Student's Rights and Responsibilities and can be reached at 604-599-2950 for more information.
Each student attending KPU must accept her or his responsibilities as an adult and adhere to KPU policies, procedures and deadlines as published. Students are urged to familiarize themselves with other University policy and procedures. All of KPU’s policies and procedures are kept in a single online space that is searchable. It can be found at: kpu.ca/policies.