Third Age Learning at Kwantlen (TALK)
Life-long Learning:TALK provides those 50 and over with creative and stimulating educational activities.
It's TALK's 20th anniversary and we're celebrating! Please join us for a morning of light refreshments and spirit-raising entertainment, featuring local performer Susan Skemp.
Susan will be performing the hits from the past! From "Big Band" favorites, to Sock Hop and Motown dance tunes, Broadway hits, great standards and humour, Susan's show will have something for everyone. (And we'll spend a few minutes taking care of AGM business. Did we mention door prizes!)
Susan Skemp's career has taken her worldwide: as a guest entertainer for Princess Cruises, Tokyo Disneyland, and a musical revue in Europe. She has worked with Bob Fosse, Peter Matz and Earl Brown, performed with Bob McGrath on the Variety Telethon and sung with Dal Richards and Bobby Hales Orchestras and with Motown singer Bobby Taylor. She starred as Nelly Forbush in "South Pacific" for Theatre under the Stars, "Godspell" at the Vancouver Playhouse, was the female lead in "Steppin' Out" with Variety at the Vogue and a guest entertainer in the "Hugh Pickett Tribute" at the Arts Club. At Metro, she starred as Reno Sweeney in "Anything Goes" and Dorothy Brock in "42nd Street". Susan produced and starred in "An Evening with Susan Skemp," at the Gateway Theatre, "A Date with Susan & Michel" at the Oasis, and her Cabaret series "Nostalgia" with Phil Moriarity at Metro.
What makes TALK different?
TALK is a participatory learning experience with no quizzes, grades or prerequisites. The learning process is lively, full of discussion, controversy, humour, insight and wisdom. In addition to participating in courses, you can become a course facilitator, plan curriculum, identify speakers, prepare newsletters, recruit new members, help organize special events or promote TALK. For further information on being a TALK volunteer, contact Chair Robin Heath at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TALK membership is open to anyone 50 years or older. The annual membership fee $10.
Benefits of Membership
- Participation in TALK courses which are offered at low fees that just cover administration costs
- Lower cost for TALK members at all open events
ON FACEBOOK - JOIN OUR GROUP!
TALK is on Facebook...
So, please "like" us...
- Click here to go to our Facebook Page in a new window. (The full URL is https://www.Facebook.com/kpu.ca.TALK.)
- Click here to go to our Facebook Group Page in a new window. (The full URL is https://www.facebook.com/groups/697127260390288/.)
TALK Course Venues
- Cloverdale Campus (Kwantlen Tech, 5500 - 180 Street, Surrey)
- Langley Campus (20901 Langley Bypass, Langley)
- Richmond Campus (8771 Lansdowne Road, Richmond, just East of the Lansdowne Centre, less than 10-minute walk from Translink's Lansdowne Station)
- Surrey Campus (Kwantlen's home/main campus, 12666 - 72 Avenue, Surrey)
TALK Greatly Appreciates
- Our member volunteers who create and facilitate programs, contact presenters, distribute brochures, organize special events, create the newsletter and help promote TALK!
- The assistance in course registration, room bookings, brochure and newsletter production, marketing and other activities provided by KPU’s Faculty of Academic and Career Advancement.
- The valued technical assistance of KPU's Manager, Web and Digital Technology.
- Our presenters who volunteer their time and expertise to provide us with life long learning!
TALK maintains a collegial relationship with a number of sister organizations.
If you happen to live in the Abbotsford/Chilliwack/Mission area, you might want to look into the programs and activities of the Lifetime Learning Centre. Here is a link to their home page.
Chilliwack Elder College always has a wide variety of courses. You can check them out here
A course is available for people living with dementia and those caring for loved ones with dementia. The focus is from a person centered philosophy of caring and focusing on the quality of life for these individuals living with dementia. Here is the link to the OER "Living Well with Dementia: Through Voice and Choice."
For residents of Delta, a spring and fall semester of 30+ courses are offered by Elder College Delta, which is a member-based organization with a member Council that meets monthly in Delta. Visit their website at
TALK's annual membership fee is $10
Membership year runs from September 1 to August 31.
The cost of courses, events, and Philosophers' Corner sessions varies.
Please visit the other areas of our web site for details.