The KPU PR Diploma Program provides a broad-based educational experience that gives students a solid grounding in all aspects of public relations and corporate communications. Our program trains students to shine as both communicators and innovators, and our graduates have found employment in a variety of positions in multinational corporations, nonprofit organizations, government, and PR agencies.
Specialists in public relations and communications perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop, implement and evaluate communications strategies and programs designed to inform clients, employees and the general public of initiatives and policies of businesses, governments and other organizations
- Arrange interviews and news conferences
- Initiate and maintain contact with the media
- Act as spokesperson for an organization and answer written and oral inquiries
- Co-ordinate special publicity events and promotions for internal and external audiences
- Develop and organize workshops, meetings, ceremonies and other events for publicity, fundraising and information purposes
- Gather, research and prepare communications material for internal and external audiences
- Conduct public opinion and attitude surveys to identify the interests and concerns of key groups served by their organization
- Prepare or oversee preparation of reports, briefs, bibliographies, speeches, presentations, Web sites and press releases
- Prepare and deliver educational and publicity programs and informational materials to increase awareness of museums, galleries and other tourist attractions
- Assist in the preparation of brochures, reports, newsletters and other material
- Represent and act as an agent for talented individuals or individuals with specific occupational expertise
Take advantage of your student status and network with industry professionals. As a PR student, you have the opportunity to join groups that cater to building a community of professionals dedicated to promoting the art of communications in an ever-evolving digital age. Become a member to get exclusive invitations to social events that offer professional development and a chance to broaden your communications knowledge.
Canadian Public Relations Society
Canadian Public Relations Society Vancouver (CPRS) is a networking and professional development organization for public relations practitioners and communications specialists in British Columbia. www.cprsvancouver.com
International Association Of Business Communicators
Our chapter is a vibrant community of professional communicators from diverse industries and disciplines. Here, we share a passion for our profession, learning, connecting and sharing. This is where you connect to ideas, job opportunities and people. iabc.bc.ca
Both offer student scholarships and industry accreditation.