***IMPORTANT CHANGE TO ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS***
A student is eligible for Co-op if their program shows "Business Undeclared - Public Relations Intended". You do not need to be declared into the diploma to be eligible for entry into the Co-op program. However you must still maintain the entrance requirements of the program at all times (see below) and you are still required to declare your program prior to seeking a Co-op work term.
How to Apply
Applications for the Co-op program are accepted all year around. Full details can be found on the Apply to Co-op page.
The Public Relations diploma is offered with a Co-operative Education option. Co-operative Education gives a student the opportunity to apply the skills gained during academic study in paid, practical work experience semesters. Students can complete two work semesters while completing their diploma. Work terms generally occur full-time in separate 4 month work semesters and alternate with academic study.
Students wishing to enter and participate in the Co-op Option must meet the following requirements:
- Declaration into the Public Relations diploma program
- Good Academic Standing
- Maximum 30 completed credits
Program Continuance and Work Term Requirements:
Continuation in the co-op option requires:
- Successful completion of COOP 1101 prior to 30 credits
- Minimum GPA of 2.7
- Instructor permission*
* Instructor permission - Upon completion of COOP 1101, students must meet and maintain ALL Program Continuance and Work Term Requirements of his/her program in order to remain in the Co-op program. For most programs this includes a minimum cumulative GPA (including all transfer credits and undergraduate courses that may apply to their program), successful completion of COOP 1101 prior to 75 completed credits (prior to 30 completed credits for diplomas) and instructor permission.
Instructor permission can take into feedback from the COOP 1101 instructor and assignments, feedback from other KPU instructors (including attendance, behaviour, and participation) and suitability as an ambassador of the Co-op program. Students may meet the GPA and credit requirement but access to Co-op may be withheld or removed if instructor permission is not granted.
In addition to the requirements stated above, all Co-op students must satisfy the General Co-operative Education Requirements.
Please click here for a detailed description of what you can expect from the Public Relations Diploma.
Public Relations Co-op Employment
Public Relations Co-op students are prepared for such roles as:
- Communications and Media Relations Officer
- Events Specialist
- Digital Content Specialist
- Content Writer
- Public Information Officer
To learn more about the Public Relations Diploma Co-op Program, please contact: